Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: How to... ( Warning: Bound to get very political/philosophical. )  (Read 6341 times)

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Re: How to... ( Warning: Bound to get very political/philosophical. )
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2014, 04:43:32 pm »

Radical feminism views patriarchy as dividing rights, privileges and power primarily by gender

Well even that is demonstrably false : power and right were and stlll are divided by birthrights, race, wealth, gender... depending on the place, and there is no way in hell to argue that a black slave man in the south has more right than a white woman. And wether or not he was privilieged compeared to a black woman is debatable, but that debate would be mostly pointless. The peoples arguing about those things seems unaware that they are part of the intelligencia of the most powerfull nation on earth.

It may have such positions, but that doesn't mean it has the influence to match.

That's still a lot of influence, especially since it's been the majority's ideology for a while now, as idicated by the considerable advances accomplished. 

The conventional view is that there are two restrictive gender roles.

which is precisely the problem : the roles in question were diverses, depended on the class and weren't the same in all western societies. Saying that there were two roles is the kind of misleading oversimplification I was talking about.
If they're short sighted and obsolete, then why shouldn't they be abolished?

Because cultural practices are there for a reason, usually, and you have to be carefull if you don't want any backlash.

And no, I wouldn't say they only privilege men... But they mostly do.

Generations upon generations of European men sacrified on the altar of war disagree. Untill ww2, civilian death in conventional war were usually limited (with some exeptions).
That's just an exemple. Another would be that both my grandfathers dies long before my birth of work-related disease, while my grandmothers lived way longer.

And I definitely don't think that pursuing feminist goals harms such things in any way.

I bet that that kind of "activism" is making you feel good enough and that you don't atually pursue any of these matter outside of internet. Am I wrong?
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2014, 05:48:26 pm »

Well even that is demonstrably false : power and right were and stlll are divided by birthrights, race, wealth, gender... depending on the place, and there is no way in hell to argue that a black slave man in the south has more right than a white woman. And whether or not he was privileged compered to a black woman is debatable, but that debate would be mostly pointless. The peoples arguing about those things seems unaware that they are part of the intelligentsia of the most powerful nation on earth.

Yes, they're divided by other factors... But they are ALSO divided based on gender. And yes, I agree that there are other issues here, and I'd like to see them resolved too... But that doesn't make feminism wrong. You can be a feminist and also fight for racial equality, and anything else you think needs to be addressed.

That's still a lot of influence, especially since it's been the majority's ideology for a while now, as indicated by the considerable advances accomplished.

For conventional feminism, perhaps. You do remember we're talking about two feminisms here, right? Besides, the influence it has in Europe and the influence in America are entirely different things. It may have a lot of influence in Europe, but here in America? Noooope.

which is precisely the problem : the roles in question were diverse, depended on the class and weren't the same in all western societies. Saying that there were two roles is the kind of misleading oversimplification I was talking about.

Of course I recognize that there were other factors. What I mean is that there were two roles dependent on gender.

Because cultural practices are there for a reason, usually, and you have to be careful if you don't want any backlash.

Mmmm... So abolish carefully, then, a bit at a time- much as we have been.

Generations upon generations of European men sacrificed on the altar of war disagree. Until ww2, civilian death in conventional war were usually limited (with some exceptions).
That's just an example. Another would be that both my grandfathers dies long before my birth of work-related disease, while my grandmothers lived way longer.

I agree that that's pretty terrible. But this is not a zero sum game- all the women who had their lives dictated for them, or who died in childbirth or were denied opportunities stack up too.

I bet that that kind of "activism" is making you feel good enough and that you don't actually pursue any of these matter outside of internet. Am I wrong?

Check out the project titled Agora in my sig. I suppose it's not technically outside the internet, but it is well beyond the level of individual arguments. Also: You're kinda being a jerk. There's no need to make things personal. I honestly find this sort of thing rather tiring and unpleasant, but I do it anyway because I feel it's important. Really, I would put more emphasis on my economic and political beliefs than on my feminism.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 06:00:21 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2014, 06:27:55 pm »

Also: You're kinda being a jerk.

Sorry if I've been harsh, let's stop here then.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2014, 06:31:43 pm »

What really? You're not that harsh, just the one line:

I bet that that kind of "activism" is making you feel good enough and that you don't atually pursue any of these matter outside of internet. Am I wrong?

Just leave the personal attacks out of it and we're fine.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2014, 02:35:29 am »

We broke up. :) Well maybe sorta. I don't know. That said, I'm done with this thread as the issue has resolved itself. ( I could not satisfy her needs in a timely manner and she has decided that the heartache that comes from not being able to see me for long periods of time isn't worth. Weak and impatient is what I say. Would only have been another fucking year. But no... That's not good enough. ) Anyway, you can all go home now.

( Yes I'm pretty bitter about it, but even so I'd probably take her back and remain romanitcally detached and celibate until such a time as that's possible. I'm fucking pathetic. )

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2014, 11:33:41 am »

We broke up. :) Well maybe sorta. I don't know. That said, I'm done with this thread as the issue has resolved itself. ( I could not satisfy her needs in a timely manner and she has decided that the heartache that comes from not being able to see me for long periods of time isn't worth. Weak and impatient is what I say. Would only have been another fucking year. But no... That's not good enough. ) Anyway, you can all go home now.

( Yes I'm pretty bitter about it, but even so I'd probably take her back and remain romanitcally detached and celibate until such a time as that's possible. I'm fucking pathetic. )

You are 18. Go find another girl.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2014, 11:40:37 am »

Yeah, that didn't sound like it was gonna work out or suddenly morph into a functional relationship anyway. Try your luck somewhere else.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2014, 11:56:39 am »

I mean, what's going to happen... you think that you'll stay celibate and romantically involved for a year, she's not going to find anyone else, and then... you're not going to resent her for making you wait a year? With what you've said so far, I have to say "fat chance."

Or she does find someone else, you've wasted a year being hung up on someone who already told you "nothing doing" and then... yeah, that's going to make you happy for sure.

She left a situation that wasn't right for her. That's strength. Move on and find an anti-feminist woman for yourself, because that seems to be important for you. You got something out of the relationship--knowing that you don't want to fuck about with feminists--which is self-knowledge you can use to find a more suitable partner next time.

Here's a pro-tip: If you want to change who someone is, then you're dating the wrong person. You can ask someone to behave differently ("please don't talk to me about X") but not to be different ("lose interest in X, now").
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2014, 05:48:47 pm »

Eh, probably not. And I don't know what's going to happen, just that I'm too busy right now to start the romantic BS all over again! XD If I find another girl or if I take her back, it will be a year or two from now anyway, that way I can focus on things of greater importance.

Another thing, to reiterate, the break-up had nothing to do with anything mentioned in this thread so far, since Vector apparently didn't catch that. The issue is that we go to college in different states and I couldn't go visit her exactly when she wanted and she got pissed. Honestly, I don't want to deal with that kind of immaturity. If you want to call it strength? Go ahead. It's not. She dealt with it in a fairly mature way (as far as the wording), and in a way where it seems like she's trying to leave the option open. ( I don't know how I feel about that. ) Maybe she'll mature from then to now, get a better grip of her emotions and set up a more stable base from which visitation could be more practical. And I hope the same for myself. That said, that's no guarantee of anything, because while I'm not looking, I might still find someone else.

Anyway, I'm locking the thread now because I don't need relationship advice when I'm not in one. And I'm not in the business of predicting the future anyway, so I'll let future me decide whether or not he wants to continue dating this girl or date another one. For now, I'm done with relationships myself and too close to the issue to make a decent decision. ( Most likely. )
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 05:51:21 pm by CaptainMcClellan »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]