Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making a vampire fort  (Read 2876 times)

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
Making a vampire fort
« on: June 22, 2014, 11:54:28 pm »

I managed to lock my vamp king in a 3x3 room, perforate him to death, flood it, then build a well over it. It's been a few months and that's the only source of drink available. Yet my dwarves are still doing some very mortal things like sleeping and eating. In addition, Dwarf Therapist doesn't show that any of my dwarves are cursed.

Does this take time to take effect or did I do something wrong?

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making a vampire fort
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 01:56:48 am »

Forbid your fortress's alcohol to find out. They will be forced to drink from the well although it will produce bad thoughts having no booze.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 04:51:16 pm »

I have forbid and locked away my alcohol. I also realized that there are ponds outside that they may be drinking from.

Time to lock a bunch of alcohol-starved dwarves in an enclosed space and wait for them to become superpowered undead.

Rogtuok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 12:29:00 am »

I'm interested in hearing the outcome of this as I'm about to try and turn a few of my dwarfs in to vamps also I have 1 locked in to a room with a well that have some vampire blood in it but so far the locked in dwarf haven't turned in to a vamp.

So if you manage to get it to work plz update this post with an update.

Kumis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 10:13:08 am »

There should be an (o)rder to restrict drinking to preferred zones only. That way they'll not drink from the ponds as long as you don't have the ponds selected as drinking zones.
Dodók Medtobór,
What are you trying to hunt?
Y u no find path?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 11:12:42 am »

Yeah set the zone with , and designate it as a water source. Then do what Kumis said, and that's all they'll drink from.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Rogtuok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 02:45:09 am »

Some observations about making new vampires the water need to have pool of blood as splatter or any other way of blood contamination do not work and the blood need to be under the well or the have to actually drink from the actual square were the pool of blood is.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 04:35:33 am »

That's right. Water in DF is pretty weird. For example a property like saltiness is actually a property of the tile not the water in the tile, for example if you were to drain the ocean, then create a cistern in what used to be the ocean, and pump fresh water into the cistern, the fresh water pumped into it will be salty, because saltiness is a property of the tile.
This is also basically why pumping water purifies it, you have a contaminated tile, with 7 units of water in it. Pump the water out and you a contaminated tile with 0 water, and 7 units of pure water comes out the pump.
So it is always *tiles* that become contaminated, not water, and bizarrely enough, that can be a property of the 'space' rather than the floor, although presumably vampire blood has to be on a floor to count as contaminating that tile.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Rogtuok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 05:15:59 am »

Yes but splatter do not count as contaminated water it has to be pool of blood.

Meaning if a dwarf drinks from water tile with splatter of vampire blood the do not turn in to a vampire.

So that tile need to have pool of blood to count as contaminated in case of making new vampires.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 08:56:57 pm »

I moved the well over the spot where the vampire died, rather than one tile over as before. All the pools of blood on the floor are long gone at this point, but hopefully the contamination or whatever is still there. If all else fails there's still a pool of his blood under the door another tile over.

His corpse is also completely gone. Ominous.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 09:32:33 pm by Kishmond »

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 01:49:12 pm »

Meanwhile, I have a pool of vampire blood and it doesn't work at all. This seems to be an unresolved issue.

Allright, it seems it is the well that does the trick, like Rogtuok said.

Allthough it seems that well needs to be replenished with more blood periodically.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 02:29:05 pm by ancistrus »

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 04:55:06 pm »

Yeah maybe I should have flooded the room before perforating the vampire or something, because this doesn't seem to be working.
And I'm all out of vampires.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 05:37:21 pm »

Yeah maybe I should have flooded the room before perforating the vampire or something, because this doesn't seem to be working.
And I'm all out of vampires.
Yes, if you pour in the water it will remove the blood pool.
I savescummed and cursed a lot today but it finally seems to work ok. Not great, just ok.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 08:43:19 pm »

If a dwarf is thirsty, and the only accessible liquid is a pool of blood on the floor, then will he drink from it?
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 11:41:59 pm »

Well, shoot. Can I hack in a vampire and pretend I did it right the first time?