Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Detective Dorf  (Read 658 times)

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Detective Dorf
« on: June 29, 2014, 02:32:28 pm »

Ok, so the captain of my guard, a legendary wrestler, has somehow managed to murder 3 people with not a single witness, each time she's punched her fist through their skull, but I digress. 

So I COULD convict her for the latest murder, but, I've been told mayors can order beatings on dorfs for violating production orders.  My question is:  How can I find out if it was the mayor, or the captain "taking pleasure in slaughter lately"?
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
Re: Detective Dorf
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 02:48:20 pm »

I think that the only situations in which dwarfs murder each other are fell moods, capital punishment, tantrums, and vampirism. I am pretty sure tantrums get announced so if you haven't seen one and you are sure your captain isn't a vampire then it is likely that it was just death by justice.

Edit: More info here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Justice
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 03:41:11 pm »

Check the justice status screen - if you have a few dwarfs listed with a "beating" punishment as well as a "deceased" notice, it's dwarven justice gone wrong dwarven. A beating is supposed to be basically a spanking, but it uses the "bare-handed assault with murderous intent" code, and the effects of blunt attacks (including punches) on the central nervous system are fatally mis-modelled.

If those cases were the usual misfires of the dwarven injustice system, the alleged crime and detestable mandate-smithing parasite injured party will be listed, so it should be easy enough to find the real criminal.

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 06:12:12 pm »

Alright, thanks, all evidence points to a beating gone wrong, no reason for the captain to use fists in a real fight since he's a +5 legendary axedorf.  Wish there was a way to get alerted when beatings are ordered.
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

Aramara Meibi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 10:32:53 am »

if you wish to avoid such capital punishment, assign a dwarf with no military skills to the captain position, or build yourself a set of jail cells (chains built and then assigned to justice).

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 12:35:47 pm »

Assigning weaklings to the guard doesn't help much - punches against unarmoured targets are completely broken right now.

The best thing to do is not to assign a guard (and hope dwarven justice gets fixed in the upcoming release). Currently, their work has no real benefits - even the "keep order in the middle of a tantrum" can be done better and with less waste of good dwarfs without them. In less troubled times they just murder, hospitalise or imprison workers with beneficial skills.

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 03:30:17 pm »

if you wish to avoid such capital punishment, assign a dwarf with no military skills to the captain position, or build yourself a set of jail cells (chains built and then assigned to justice).

Ya I figured this out by accident yesterday, no dorfs have been killed since, just chained for a week or two.