Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The expedition leader is sleeping with the outpost liaison  (Read 1917 times)

The expedition leader is sleeping with the outpost liaison
« on: July 06, 2014, 10:41:17 am »

Was idly reviewing the rooms for improvement when I found the outpost liaison and the expedition leader sharing a bed, is this normal?
Stages of DF Ideas:
How do the mechanics for this work?
How can I weaponise it?
How can I add magma?
How can I weaponise it?
How can I automate it?

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The expedition leader is sleeping with the outpost liaison
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 10:43:47 am »

Are you sure the liaison isn't just standing on the same tile as the sleeping EL in his bed?
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 10:47:04 am »

...and suddenly it's a lot less interesting
Stages of DF Ideas:
How do the mechanics for this work?
How can I weaponise it?
How can I add magma?
How can I weaponise it?
How can I automate it?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 01:29:51 pm »

I've never seen a liaison sleep while on the map.  I suppose one could be rendered unconscious by physical attack, syndrome, etc.  But they don't seem to get tired, hungry or thirsty normally.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 02:17:43 pm »

They're just hammering out the last details on the deal, if you know what I mean.  ;D
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 02:39:32 pm »

are they both the same gender? also I don't think liaisons can fall asleep.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 10:13:31 pm »

Incorrect sir, it's still quite interesting.

Now you've got a bureaucrat who is so detached from normal civility that he goes into the expedition leader's room WHILE HE'S SLEEPING and just sits there.  And watches.

Every time the leader stirs, the liason gets a little bit excited, hoping that he wakes up so they can continue their FASCINATING conversation about the accepted trade value of backpacks and quivers and so on.

Then the leader goes back to sleep and the liason settles back down.

And resumes staring intently.

[STARING INTENSIFIES]

Now tell me that isn't still interesting, in an extremely creepy psychopath sort of way.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 07:26:22 am »

Now you've got a bureaucrat who is so detached from normal civility that he goes into the expedition leader's room WHILE HE'S SLEEPING and just sits there.  And watches.

While that may be interesting, it's not a departure from normal civility, in Dwarf Fortress.  Every single diplomat or liaison acts this way, and always has.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 07:33:35 am »

Probably even more awkward when "finish peeking in on the conversation" shows up on screen.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 10:06:49 am »

At least our dwarves don't have to use the bathroom. Imagine how creepy it would be to have him wait in the room with while they're doing that.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 01:27:43 pm »

Is it though? Is it?

I think it's pretty interesting for the liaison to be looming creepily over the expedition leader while they sleep.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 03:16:03 pm »

"Listen, and understand. That liaison is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you conduct that meeting."
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 03:18:48 pm »

Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 05:03:41 pm »

They're doing some "business". If you know what i mean...

Kohou

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the Armok do you think I am?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 05:13:39 pm »

Politics makes strange bedfellows.
"Don't worry Urist, the spider can't hurt us! He's trapped in an invisible box!"

"Don't dig for you!  Dig for me who digs for you!  Yours is the pick that will strike the earth!"