Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What are the Fortress Mode Updates in the New Version?  (Read 4229 times)

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
Re: What are the Fortress Mode Updates in the New Version?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 12:31:05 am »

I dont think retired forts will do much in constructing things/digging. When retired they become abstracted, I dont know what will happen when you visit/un-retire them and the abstraction has to become a fort again. What will happen to population? What about dead people? Their coffins? Assigned rooms? Militia? Job assignments? Stockpiles?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2014, 12:38:06 am »

I am more interested in the !!FUN!! that can happen from purposefully uncorking the HFS and inviting the neighbors downstairs upstairs for some biscuits, then retiring the fortress, rather than abandoning.

That would leave demon pops on the surface, (possibly historical, if they kill any dwarves) AND an active dwarven site at the same location.

Going and playing a while in adv mode would allow that site, and those historical figure clowns to be more active in the world space.

Some VERY interesting turns of events could transpire. (Especially if the updated adv mode ethics/descision/site mechanics for historical figs takes hold for these new historical figure clowns. It's not unreasonable to have a whole army of unique named clowns after they tear through the animal pastures and some militia. Once they become historical figs, and released to the adv mode mechanics, they would all get unique minds and thoughts, and coupled with the new ambition code enhancements, this could be very entertaining indeed.)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 12:44:47 am by wierd »

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 12:42:47 am »

"The World has entered the Age of Death."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2014, 12:54:13 am »

Maybe, maybe not.

Remember, Toady is putting in a goodly chunk of randomization into the "motivations and ethics" code that governs the behaviors of historical figures. When those freshly minted clown hist figs get pushed into adv mode, and get the new "ambition" mechanics applied to them, the result could be quite varied and unexpected. I doubt we will have altruistic clowns, but we could very well end up with clowns that arent completely homocidal after getting poked by the adv mode code.

It DEMANDS testing. 

How awesome would it be to seed a world with such sites, and thus radically increasing the odds that hist fig clowns will show up in sieges?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 12:55:54 am by wierd »

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2014, 02:07:59 am »

How awesome would it be to seed a world with such sites, and thus radically increasing the odds that hist fig clowns will show up in sieges?

An Ambush! Skulking Vermin!

An Ambush!  Party Time!
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2014, 02:41:37 am »

^ Sitting here reading this imagining that since it's Toady crying produces a small pool of water and there ending up being a bug where a dwarf just keeps on crying. New meaning to cry me a river...

Oh, this is so getting weaponized.

New drowning chamber designs!
Sad dwarves fire deadly projectiles on frozen biomes!

Forget buckets, irrigate the rock layers with tears!

Drowning in sorrow?

dirkzen

• Bay Watcher
  • Flood the depot. Get free stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2014, 03:22:21 am »

An Ambush!  Party Time!

Every ambush is party time
Forgotten beasts flying up the wells and eating them might cause some negative effects.

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2014, 09:22:17 am »

An Ambush!  Party Time!

Every ambush is party time

Touche...
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2014, 01:49:33 pm »

Some other things in the game are dwarves reacting more strongly to the death of friends, relatives etc. (apparently they break down in tears).
Well, whether it's more strongly or not depends on if they're still as likely to tantrum because of it.

From what I have read the personality rewrite means dwarves will have more complex emotional states instead of te monodimensional
Happy<-->Angry they have now, this means dwarves could become sad instead of angry if a friend/relative dies, therefore instead of tantrumming they would burst into tears. I assume crying would have no effect on other dwarves so there would be no "crying spirals" like tantrums cause.

I wouldn't count on that. If anything, crying dwarves might make things worse.

I'll stake bets on crying dwarves:

- causing other dwarves to not be able to sleep (much like with wailing ghosts), giving a bad thought in turn
- making other dwarves get a minor bad thought out of empathy (sociopaths need not apply)
- causing especially altruistic dwarves to cancel their jobs to console the tear-filled dwarf (the worst possible outcome!)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 01:51:43 pm by ShinQuickMan »

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2014, 01:57:17 pm »

- making other dwarves get a minor bad thought out of empathy (sociopaths need not apply)

Basically a non-issue all dwarfs are budding socio/psychopaths.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2014, 01:57:57 pm »

- causing especially altruistic dwarves to cancel their jobs to console the tear-filled dwarf (the worst possible outcome!)

Oh, Armok, spare me.  :(
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2014, 02:35:21 pm »

Oh, Armok, spare me.  :(

Maybe if you make them all traumatised war-veterans, they'll be less inclined to console dwarves because they just don't care anymore?

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2014, 02:45:36 pm »

- causing other dwarves to not be able to sleep (much like with wailing ghosts), giving a bad thought in turn

I dont think sad dwarves will go cry in the dormitory, most likely in the dinning hall. If dwarves have private rooms its musch less likely their sleep will be interrupted.
Pages: 1 [2]