Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The SDL version won't run on my computer.  (Read 609 times)

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
The SDL version won't run on my computer.
« on: July 01, 2014, 08:31:52 am »

So, I downloaded fresh copies of both SDL versions from the Bay 12 website, put them on my flashdrive, and tried to open them on my PC. Told me that the files were corrupted or something. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I've run Legacy on my PC with absolutely no problems at all, if that matters.
Regards,
Dampe

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: The SDL version won't run on my computer.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 08:41:35 am »

You'll need to be a bit more specific, preferably with screenshots - "corrupted or something" isn't particularly meaningful.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 11:44:54 am »

You'll need to be a bit more specific, preferably with screenshots - "corrupted or something" isn't particularly meaningful.

It said that one of the files in the folder was corrupted when I clicked on "Dwarf Fortress" in the SDL folder, and that I should back up the file from the original source, or something similar.
I was going to go back to the .zip, but I accidentally deleted it along with some Bonnie Tyler mp3s, and I didn't have internet at my house to re-download it with, since I'd driven out to a cafe to download it.

I tried fiddling around and deleting some files, in a vain attempt to see if I could reverse engineer the problem, but I was unsuccessful. I did this with both versions of the SDL game, and as previously stated, Legacy still runs fine, albeit with a very low framerate on my crappy PC. I'm away from home until next weekend, so screenshots aren't readily available. Sorry.

If anyone has any idea what I've done wrong, help would be appreciated.
Regards,
Dampe

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 12:24:33 pm »

There are two error messages which could match your description:

1. One of the compressed files on disk has errors in it. Restore from backup if you are able.
2. Main index file missing/corrupted. The file "index" must be in the "data" folder. Make sure DF decompressed into its folders properly.

Error #1 can happen if pretty much any compressed file in the game gets damaged, whether a saved game, help page, dipscript, or the intro movies.
Error #2 happens if the "data/index" file does not exactly match what Toady normally distributes with the game - in addition to being mildly encrypted, the game also performs numerous special checks on the file's contents to make sure it hasn't been tampered with.

Unless the problem was within a saved game, deleting files will not fix either of the above errors and will only serve to make it worse.

Also, there is only one SDL version of the game - while there are two different download packages, the only difference is that one of them is smaller because it does not include the 2.5MB worth of background music tracks.

The only way to "fix" the problem is to re-extract the game from its original ZIP file, redownloading it if necessary. Additionally, make sure your virus scanner isn't corrupting the files by "cleaning" them.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 12:26:31 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 06:10:14 pm »

There are two error messages which could match your description:

1. One of the compressed files on disk has errors in it. Restore from backup if you are able.
2. Main index file missing/corrupted. The file "index" must be in the "data" folder. Make sure DF decompressed into its folders properly.

Error #1 can happen if pretty much any compressed file in the game gets damaged, whether a saved game, help page, dipscript, or the intro movies.
Error #2 happens if the "data/index" file does not exactly match what Toady normally distributes with the game - in addition to being mildly encrypted, the game also performs numerous special checks on the file's contents to make sure it hasn't been tampered with.

Unless the problem was within a saved game, deleting files will not fix either of the above errors and will only serve to make it worse.

Also, there is only one SDL version of the game - while there are two different download packages, the only difference is that one of them is smaller because it does not include the 2.5MB worth of background music tracks.

The only way to "fix" the problem is to re-extract the game from its original ZIP file, redownloading it if necessary. Additionally, make sure your virus scanner isn't corrupting the files by "cleaning" them.

It would be the former of those two problems, and it must have been not extracting it from the ZIP file.
As for there being only one SDL version, I meant the two packages.
My PC is so shitty, that it cannot even play sound, so I don't think the package matters XD
Thanks a bunch for the help, dude.
Regards,
Dampe