Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Levels and how do they affect gameplay. Is there a defacto limit?  (Read 426 times)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile

Does level beyond legendary +5 matter?  Does a dwarf get better, (aka faster or any noticeable affect) beyond this point.  I play Masterwork and sometimes I see level 105 fighter, and 49 macedwarf, etc etc.

The reason I ask, is because the way dwarf therapist calculates skills for role's uses a fancy formula based on skill_rate, which basically returns a "simulated [interpolated] level", aka 1.5, or 10.5, etc. etc. that we averaged with the current interpolated level.  Basically (simulated level + current level ) / 2. 

Problem is.  The formula has caps for INPUT on current level (aka caps at level 20), but internally it produces values that equate to higher than level 20, and it can produce a higher than level 20 as an output.  So I was wondering, is comparison lost in difference in levels beyond level 20?  If so, I would like to propose fixing the formula to account for level 20 being the ceiling for anything related to xp and level.

The formula is described here

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=66525.msg3963233#msg3963233

Code: [Select]

{ int xp_gap = xp_levels[curr_level+1] - curr_xp;         // How much XP till mext level?
    if (xp_gap > sim_xp)
      xp_gap = sim_xp;
    double low = (0.0 +curr_xp -xp_levels[curr_level]) / (xp_levels[curr_level+1] -xp_levels[curr_level]);
    double high = (0.0 +curr_xp + xp_gap -xp_levels[curr_level]) / (xp_levels[curr_level+1] -xp_levels[curr_level]);
    double avg_level = curr_level + (low + high) / 2.0;   // Average scaled level for this iteration.
    ret += xp_gap * avg_level;
    curr_level++;
    curr_xp = xp_levels[curr_level];
    sim_xp -= xp_gap;
  }

Update:
Maklak addressed my concerns in the Dwarf Therapist (maintained branch) thread.

According to mk, comparisons are lost after level 20 (this does not mean that they won't be measured AT ALL, just his formula will be capped to return only level 20)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 10:18:36 pm by thistleknot »