Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bicycle repair advice  (Read 1732 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bicycle repair advice
« on: June 21, 2014, 12:09:50 pm »

The brakes on my bicycle are terrible. More than once I've almost been hit by cars because I have trouble stopping, even using my feet to brake(plus, the ability to drive a car is apparently not a requirement to actually driving a car in New York).

Earlier today I fixed the front brake, but the rear brake simply does not work. I can't squeeze the brake handle at all. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the brakes itself, and I haven't found any problems with the brake wire, but I also can't find the problem in the brake handle. I'm not sure what there is that would prevent the handle from being pulled, and I don't want to try and detatching pieces because I'm afraid I might break the brake wire or accidentally detaching it and not being able to put it back in.

I suppose I could just take it to a repair shop, but I'd rather be able to fix it myself, I also probably should replace the front brake pads, since even though I just fixed the problem with them, they aren't fully stopping me, possibly because the pads are so worn down(I have not been able to use the rear brakes ever since I got the bike).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Bicycle repair advice
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 12:34:34 pm »

I dont think anyone can give you technical advice over the internet, about breaks on your bike that no one has seen, doesnt know the condition of, nor the brand and type.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 11:17:23 pm »

and I don't want to try and detatching pieces because I'm afraid I might break the brake wire or accidentally detaching it and not being able to put it back in.

This might actually be the best course of action. I don't think there's any danger of damaging the brake cable, and a replacement brake cable is dirt cheap. Just go slowly with the disassembly, and remember what order you took out parts, and you should be fine.

Also, you can probably get more stopping power (and time) out of your front brakes by increasing the tension of/shortening the front brake cable.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 03:38:01 am »

I agree with Meph. It's sort of hard to give advice on bikes if you can't see the bike.

Do the braking blocks on the rear wheel go down? Because if they go down and you don't get braking they're just very worn out.

If your bike is any like mine there should be a wire connecting the braking blocks above the wheel and a few screws to bring them closer together, maybe the problem is there.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 04:35:32 am »

Or just buy some Magura HS33 and be done with brake mainentance for the next ~10.000 miles.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 08:05:01 am »

I agree with Meph. It's sort of hard to give advice on bikes if you can't see the bike.

Do the braking blocks on the rear wheel go down? Because if they go down and you don't get braking they're just very worn out.

If your bike is any like mine there should be a wire connecting the braking blocks above the wheel and a few screws to bring them closer together, maybe the problem is there.
well, his problem is that his handle won't depress. My guess is that some part in the handle has become jammed. Generally, brake handles are pretty mechanically simple, so I'm sure it'd be a fairly trivial job to take it apart and put it back together.
channel = #bay12lb

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 05:19:13 am »

Not as much advise on your current problem, but more general advise for brakes on your bicycle:

do NOT use rim brakes like mentioned in this article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_brake
they will be severely hampered by rain (except maybe a few of the very expensive ones)
Also, as they wear down, they make you squeeze your brake handles harder to get the same braking effect you were used to.
That's #1 reason of brake cables snapping while trying to brake. Can get you killed.

instead use either disc brakes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_brake
Their light weight is their biggest benefit,
they brake reliably in my opinion, but are somewhat less durable (it has pretty squishy parts) than

drum brakes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_brake
which are my personal best choice.
Brake anytime, all conditions, always.
As long as your grip and cables are fine that is :P

But yeah, for your current problem, as said before.
Hard to diagnose your exact problem from here.
If it's in the grip, it should be easy enough to open that up and see what's the problem. They're not very complicated.

That's all advise I can give you from bicycle nation the Netherlands
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 06:04:03 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 07:16:23 am »

Not as much advise on your current problem, but more general advise for brakes on your bicycle:

do NOT use rim brakes like mentioned in this article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_brake
they will be severely hampered by rain (except maybe a few of the very expensive ones)
Also, as they wear down, they make you squeeze your brake handles harder to get the same braking effect you were used to.
That's #1 reason of brake cables snapping while trying to brake. Can get you killed.

instead use either disc brakes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_brake
Their light weight is their biggest benefit,
they brake reliably in my opinion, but are somewhat less durable (it has pretty squishy parts) than

drum brakes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_brake
which are my personal best choice.
Brake anytime, all conditions, always.
As long as your grip and cables are fine that is :P

But yeah, for your current problem, as said before.
Hard to diagnose your exact problem from here.
If it's in the grip, it should be easy enough to open that up and see what's the problem. They're not very complicated.

That's all advise I can give you from bicycle nation the Netherlands

As a cyclist, rim brakes are the fucking worst thing. My front ones jammed on when I was travelling at 35km/h, flipping me over the front and damaging the front derailleur lever. My rear ones were heavily worn as well, after maybe a year of using them. Thankfully, it was a dark and stormy night on a dirt road far away from any cars.

If you're going to totally replace your brakes, go for disc brakes, they're pretty damn decent. Drum brakes are second best, in my opinion - while they're simple, they are as martin said the best all-rounder brakes.

If your brake handle simply won't depress, then there's something mechanically wrong with the cable. You can take it apart with a screwdriver to see what's wrong, really.

(also i feel the need to add, wet rim brakes lose about 45-50% of their stopping power)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 10:02:38 am »

Why the hate on rim brakes? I am a touring cyclist, have done ~80.000km, and nothing beats Magura HS33. They are hydraulic rim brakes and generally considered the best touring brakes you can get. As long as you dont do crazy mud downhill/offroad.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 10:37:47 am »

Why the hate on rim brakes? I am a touring cyclist, have done ~80.000km, and nothing beats Magura HS33. They are hydraulic rim brakes and generally considered the best touring brakes you can get. As long as you dont do crazy mud downhill/offroad.

Well, hydraulic rim brakes are probably better than bog standard rim brakes, Meph. I can't say I've done anywhere near 80,000km over the course of my lifetime on my bike! Heh. Maybe 5,000km tops.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 10:49:46 am »

You know, as a casual cyclist (i.e. to work and back and fetching groceries), in a very wet climate (Lower Mainland British Columbia), I don't find I have any trouble with my rim brakes, as long as I keep them tensioned to within a quarter inch of the rim, and make sure the pads are in good condition.
channel = #bay12lb

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 12:10:42 pm »

Heh. Maybe 5,000km tops.
I did 10,000km in the last three months. :P

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 10:02:16 pm »

o.O

Yeah, my odometer(?) reads 863km on it since i started cycling that bike, which was about a year ago with a break in between. I really need to get cycling more.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 11:33:31 am »

Bleh, turns out that brake problem was actually three. I managed to loosen the brake handle enough to actually pull, and then I found out how to tighten/loosen the brake cable at the brake end. Then I had a time trying to actually keep in place for some reason that was more trouble than it was worth. Then another part of where the the brake cable attached to the brake needed tightening. All in all, I managed to get more than an insignificant amount of braking power out of the rear brake.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 01:38:55 pm »

Bleh, turns out that brake problem was actually three. I managed to loosen the brake handle enough to actually pull, and then I found out how to tighten/loosen the brake cable at the brake end. Then I had a time trying to actually keep in place for some reason that was more trouble than it was worth. Then another part of where the the brake cable attached to the brake needed tightening. All in all, I managed to get more than an insignificant amount of braking power out of the rear brake.

I had that problem once! And the same repair worked. :P
In other news, my bike is out of the repair shop - turns out it had a spring that was installed the wrong way so every time I used the front brake there was a slim chance of the brake calipers pinching the spring, which would in turn lock the brakes on. The guy in the shop reckoned I was "lucky to have ridden it for a year without the brakes locking once".