Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "needs 10 undisturbed web"  (Read 4910 times)

AcidBadger

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
"needs 10 undisturbed web"
« on: September 29, 2011, 10:07:18 am »

Hey.
I've just been playing DF a few days and I have usually been able to sort out any problems by using the wiki or trying lots of different things. At the moment one of my midgets has barricaded himself in a workshop demanding silk cloth, or atleast that's the only cloth I don't already have, and I just" can't gather webs. I just keep getting a "<dwarf> cancels Collect Webs: Needs 10 undisturbed threads".
Anyone know how to fix this? I know I have access to webs since I just discovered a pretty huge cavern directly underneath my crappy fortress and I don't really want to lose a skilled dwarf to insanity. Also not being able to collect silk is not going to be good for my economy.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: "needs 10 undisturbed web"
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 10:25:20 am »

Are the webs in an accessible burrow?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 10:27:29 am »

This problem arises because having undiscovered parts of the cavern breaks pathfinding.  A dwarf takes the 'gather web' job, and picks a web to gather.  The code which decides which web to gather does not take into account the fact that parts of the caverns are still yet to be explored.  If the web is in an unexplored region, or the path to get to the web is in an unexplored region, the job will then be canceled.

To fix this, you can explore more of the cavern.  Or you can wall off unexplored caverns - the dwarves will only attempt to gather webs if they can theoretically reach them.  It may also be possible to use burrows to limit your weaver dwarf to explored regions of the caverns - he shouldn't try to gather a web from outside the burrow.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

AcidBadger

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 10:34:03 am »

I'm pretty sure the pathfinding isn't going through any unexplored places but I'll try doing to burrow thing

EDIT: Eh, might have solved the issue. It seems like my dwarfs have stopped using a set of stairs on one of the levels. Don't know why, but they have. So I just made a new set of stairs a few blocks away and everything seems fine now.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 10:50:20 am by AcidBadger »

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 02:02:19 pm »

Sorry for the necro, but I am having a similar issue, but I'm not making any collect web jobs. It's just happening. Constantly. And spamming me with the cancel messages, which is very, very annoying. Any help?
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 02:12:08 pm »

Go to the (o)rders menu. The is a togglable option "Dwarves collect webs" which is on by default. It may be nested inside a submenu there, I can't check now. Once you toggle it off, you will only collect webs if you manually add the job to a loom. An alternative solution is, as mentioned above, to reveal the entire cavern. This can be done pretty quickly with mining/woodcutting/plant gathering designations.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 03:38:05 pm »

Go to the (o)rders menu. The is a togglable option "Dwarves collect webs" which is on by default. It may be nested inside a submenu there, I can't check now.

It is o W w to toggle it.  Actually, in every fortress I start, I do o r o ESC W w to toggle "collect refuse outdoors" and "auto collect webs", as soon as I remember to do so.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz