Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is there any difference between the Guard and your normal army?  (Read 2574 times)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any difference between the Guard and your normal army?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 12:35:20 pm »

I'm not sure if the guard still beats people to death, but because they used to, I ended up starting to use them as a wooden crossbow squad.  I could keep them lightly armored, and use them as a part-time squad.  Would keep them at fortifications and such but never send them into a melee.  Crossbow carrying civilians are good to have when you get the stray berserk dwarf or kobold, or the occasional crocodile crawling out of the caverns.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 01:10:52 pm »

I'm not sure if the guard still beats people to death, but because they used to

They definitely still do. Basically, if you're going to have a sheriff/captain and the Guard, you need to be very careful about their training and what they're allowed to wield. Never let them do mêlée training, and as has been said already in this thread, give them only lightweight crossbows (even with a featherwood crossbow, if they're a master hammerdorf, they'll still murder people).

Personally, I've found it's just not worth it to keep them around. I've done so a few times, and it always ends up with far, far more death-by-mandate (even when I make the effort to keep on top of it; all it takes is missing one mandate to lose a good dwarf) of useful dwarves than punishment for actual crimes like bloodsucking or killing someone during a tantrum. If you want to punish a dwarf, just build an overelaborate deathtrap. It won't make your dwarves happy about justice being served, but it'll almost certainly be more entertaining.

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 04:42:34 pm »

Cool, Thanks for all the tips!

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 04:48:12 pm »

Every time I try to dabble in the justice system, I always end up sorely regretting it. Last time, we had traded various bone and gold crafts to the human caravan, no problem. But while the caravan was taking its usual season or two to pack up, the baroness forbid the export of rings or something. And since the humans were still there, with their recently traded crafts, the game concluded that the trade prohibition had been broken, and I lost half my fort (which included the baroness children, husband and father) to either the dungeon or the hospital. Fun times  ::)

Anyway, I tend to make my guards more ornately equipped. Any non-useful artifact equipment goes to them, along with fancy cloaks of exotic critters and such.  All hammerdwavres though, always.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 02:14:47 am »

Every time I try to dabble in the justice system, I always end up sorely regretting it. Last time, we had traded various bone and gold crafts to the human caravan, no problem. But while the caravan was taking its usual season or two to pack up, the baroness forbid the export of rings or something. And since the humans were still there, with their recently traded crafts, the game concluded that the trade prohibition had been broken, and I lost half my fort (which included the baroness children, husband and father) to either the dungeon or the hospital. Fun times  ::)

Anyway, I tend to make my guards more ornately equipped. Any non-useful artifact equipment goes to them, along with fancy cloaks of exotic critters and such.  All hammerdwavres though, always.

Solution: Murder the carvavan before they leave the map!

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 02:10:13 pm »

I recommend not appointing one at all, since the adamantine hammer trick just doesn't work. Even if they are literally carrying a personal adamantine hammer at all times, the moment a beat criminal job appears, they'll grab a silver one from the weapon stockpile. The only work around is forbidding all ham,ers but that one, but that usually just cancels the whole job, so why even have a justice system?
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2014, 11:44:22 pm »

Or you could build a jail with plenty of cells, food and drink stockpiles where the prisoners can reach them, and, preferably, beds. Smoothing and engraving couldn't hurt either. Or doors.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2014, 06:25:17 am »

Yes, personally, my prisons have "prisoner troughs" in them, long shallow trenches set to "fill with water" at all time. This way, since the "refill" work will happen before the prisoners have drunk all 7/7 water in it, my convicts always have a water source right next to them. They can still go hungry, sure, but death by famine is far less common than dehydration (I only had it happen once since I put a water source in the prison)

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2014, 10:27:09 am »

Yes, personally, my prisons have "prisoner troughs" in them, long shallow trenches set to "fill with water" at all time. This way, since the "refill" work will happen before the prisoners have drunk all 7/7 water in it, my convicts always have a water source right next to them. They can still go hungry, sure, but death by famine is far less common than dehydration (I only had it happen once since I put a water source in the prison)
Neato!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2014, 01:45:30 pm »

Is it possible to have captain of the guard carrying bow but not carrying quiver?

Edit: without forbidding every quiver.

Unassign all ammunition from the squad (or at least all arrows) and they should carry an empty quiver.  Is that good enough?
This would work.  I accidentally did this to my hunters one fort.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: 1 [2]