Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ghost not showing up for slab?  (Read 1394 times)

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ghost not showing up for slab?
« on: July 02, 2014, 07:09:30 pm »

Not sure if this is a bug...I couldn't find anything mentioning it. I have a ghostly swordsdwarf putzing around my fort. He hasn't possessed or even terrified anyone so far, and he's been here at least a game year. I check his name, try to engrave a slab but he doesn't show up in the friendly section for slab engraving. Nor does he pop to the top since he's a ghost (usually they're at the top of the slab menu with Ghost in red lettering...).

I'm afraid I may have designated his body for dumping months ago and smashed it...but I thought that, as long as there was a ghost around, you could engrave a slab regardless of the body's status. I've searched my whole fort for his body but can't find it...I've un-forbidden everything outside on every level to no avail.

Can anybody offer advice? Either how to find his body through a menu I might not know or how to get rid of the ghost? I play 100% vanilla DF with therapist on the side.
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost not showing up for slab?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 07:14:37 pm »

Not helpful in terms of offering a solution but seeing as DFHack has a clear-ghostly and I am fairly certain there is a bug that you sometimes don't get the slab option.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 08:18:13 pm »

Yeah, it's a bug that happens with dead caravan guards. Short of DFHack's command, there's nothing you can do about it.

I usually just leave them unless they're violent or moaning or something. A few ghosts drifting around gives Tombscoast a bit of a proper haunted feel, as though not all the undead are outside.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 03:18:39 am »

Yeah, I think I'll leave him for now. Until he gets violent at least. We'll see in the future how it goes.
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 09:58:05 am »

Yeah, I think I'll leave him for now. Until he gets violent at least. We'll see in the future how it goes.
So far as I know, ghosts never change their reactive state once they've become ghosts. Their creature description will tell you if they're violent, moaning, or merely restless. The worst kind is murderous.

A restless ghost never harms anyone, but it will still cause negative thoughts on occasion.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 11:02:14 pm »

Did you check the whole list of engraving options? If you have a prepared slab you forgot to construct for the ghost already it will move down the list.  Also sometimes they're in the list but not acknowledged as a ghost, check by name if you haven't already
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 11:37:09 pm »

I have no engraved slabs that haven't been built. And I have over 3000 dead, but he doesn't appear in the friendly area at least.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 02:03:41 am »

Ghosts for whom slabs can be engraved are generally listed at the top of the engraving menu. It sounds more like the option's really not available.

I suspect it's the "can't engrave slabs for caravan guards" bug: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5755

They're not historical persons (unless they manage to make notable kills while on the site, i think) and thus are no option for engraving. But as dwarfs, they have a soul and can return as ghosts.

If the corpse of a caravan guard is gone, i know no other option than nuking the ghost with DFHack. You could also let the ghost be, if it's not violent, sadistic or murderous: most ghosts are just restless/forlorn haunts, who cause a decent amount of unhappiness in the spooked, but do nothing directly problematic.

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 09:21:49 pm »

Yeah, he's probably the reason that my dwarves are all down to the yellow area on happiness from being mostly green (although losing 20 dwarves in the last few sieges probably doesn't help either). So far, though, no tantrums so it'll be okay. Now if I can just survive people getting mad when masterwork clothes get atom-smashed....