Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: netbook corrupted during attempted DF download  (Read 1667 times)

Dwarf Eater

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
netbook corrupted during attempted DF download
« on: June 19, 2014, 11:09:58 am »

(see message history below)
I have a tough time believing the corruption on my netbook has nothing to do with my attempted download of DF.  It was running perfectly just before, I wasn't downloading anything else, and I had an active and updated virus checker.  Now I can't run a virus scan, because the executable is treated as a user file, and Windows attempts to "open" the executable with Adobe.  It simply doesn't recognize the fact that the file is an executable.  Same with all other programs.  I also tried to run the virus check from a C prompt, but the same problem occurs, and I can't access the command prompt.  Also can't get online or use any peripherals; Windows doesn't see them.   Please help!  Thanks, MP

Footkerchief: This isn't a DF problem. I suggest right-clicking on files and using "Open with" to reset how files are opened. You may also want to run a real virus scan. Good luck! Feel free to post on the Bay 12 forums for general PC help:

Me: Attempted to download DF on laptop yesterday. As a result, nearly every file, including executables, has been turned into an Adobe file. Or perhaps more accurately, it attempts to open every file with Adobe reader. As a result, I can pretty much do nothing with it. I can't run a virus check, I can't look at system properties, I can't obtain a command prompt, I can't access the CD drive, and I can't get online. I did manage to run a scan with Windows Firewall; nothing was detected. And as far as I can tell, DF did not even download. HELP!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: netbook corrupted during attempted DF download
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 12:16:47 pm »

This definitely does not sound related to downloading DF. Your netbook might have gotten corrupted and screwed up all its file associations. But there's nothing in the download process that would do that.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 04:51:55 pm »

For starters I would try something like http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/how-can-i-restore-the-default-file-associations-in/c096cd7a-91cd-4460-af4d-f38d7ca54860
google for  "restore default file associations"  with/without the quotes for more.

It also looks like it's not unheard of, and happens to a lot of people who have had nothing to do with DF.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 09:54:23 am »

As with all drive corruption things, try opening cmd and then running chkdsk /f

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 11:15:01 am »

Thats horrible advice, don't be handing that shit out to people that don't know what it does (it deletes everything off your drive including the OS).
edited: for being too tired.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 02:17:13 pm by Tellemurius »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 12:57:09 pm »

Thats horrible advice, don't be handing that shit out to people that don't know what it does (it deletes everything off your drive including the OS).
:P (It doesn't)

And I ment it as a first thing to try.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 01:07:04 pm »

isn't that "format c:/"
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 02:16:47 pm »

oh god i read it as format >__________________________________>

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 03:57:19 pm »

Wow. Major translation error.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 04:06:46 pm »

Whoops. I thought you were joking.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 12:53:04 pm »

isn't that "format c:/"

nope, format c:\ /U

/U made it also format the system sectors iirc (/U for Unconditional)
Oh good old days of MSDOS, back when Windows was just another office application.

But indeed I cannot fathom downloading DF from an official link could ever do harm to your system.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 12:56:29 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479