Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nobody will link up my lever to my bridge  (Read 642 times)

kahrkunne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nobody will link up my lever to my bridge
« on: June 25, 2014, 12:05:08 pm »

So I have a lever here, and a bridge in another place. Added the "Link a Building to Trigger" task, but I've waited quite a while, yet nobody is hooking it up. I have another lever right next to it hooked up to another bridge, and that works fine. Lost no dwarfs since I did that one, so I should have dwarfs capeable of doing this.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nobody will link up my lever to my bridge
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 12:28:26 pm »

So I have a lever here, and a bridge in another place. Added the "Link a Building to Trigger" task, but I've waited quite a while, yet nobody is hooking it up. I have another lever right next to it hooked up to another bridge, and that works fine. Lost no dwarfs since I did that one, so I should have dwarfs capeable of doing this.

It requires the Mechanics labor, so check whichever of your dwarves have that labor, to see what they're doing.  Also make sure there are no burrow restrictions that would cause them to be ineligible, or pathing problems to the 2 mechanisms, the bridge, or the lever.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

kahrkunne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 12:36:12 pm »

It requires the Mechanics labor, so check whichever of your dwarves have that labor, to see what they're doing.  Also make sure there are no burrow restrictions that would cause them to be ineligible, or pathing problems to the 2 mechanisms, the bridge, or the lever.

The bridge is right outside my door, no pathing issues there. Shouldn't be any pathing issues with the lever either - it's inside my barracks, but there is no reason dwarfs couldn't get there.

One of the dwarfs with the mechanics labor is in the army now, while the other is busy engraving (both are actually in the same room as the lever, but busy). I'll give some other dwarf the mechanics labor and see if that helps.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 01:34:06 pm »

You could just remove the engraving labor on the one and see if he gets around to it.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 03:05:35 pm »

I've had that issue of a lever not being linked from time to time myself, and I've found that frequently what's wrong is that one of the selected mechanisms have been made inaccessible, but not destroyed (dwarf scared by something, dodged into a pond, climbed out, but mechanism is still in the pond. Things like that). As long as the mechanism is inaccessible, the job remains queued, but not suspended or anything like that.
Try canceling the job and select some other mechanisms.

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 10:51:15 pm »

The bridge is right outside my door, no pathing issues there. Shouldn't be any pathing issues with the lever either - it's inside my barracks, but there is no reason dwarfs couldn't get there.

One of the dwarfs with the mechanics labor is in the army now, while the other is busy engraving (both are actually in the same room as the lever, but busy). I'll give some other dwarf the mechanics labor and see if that helps.

Well, a simple explanation is that your Mechanic simply can't do it because he's sparring/watching xxx demonstration/being a lazy ass You could make the squad inactive until he links the bridge to the lever.

Besides, you should put all the important levers in your meeting hall. Half the population is usually hanging out there.
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^