Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On vampires and happiness  (Read 860 times)

MeMyselfAndI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
On vampires and happiness
« on: June 24, 2014, 08:44:09 pm »

I am trying to design a functioning dwarf-in-a-box fort - vampires, each locked in their own rooms, with minimal exceptions.

This is partly a post to ramble about that, partly a couple questions about vampires, and partly an invitation to discussion thereof.

• Getting items in and out of locked rooms:
    • Best way I've come across so far is a hole in the roof and a pressure plate hooked to two hatches, one that blocks the hole in the roof and one that blocks access to the pickup zone. Then have a minecart stop above dump into it.
      • Still vulnerable against building destroyers, unfortunately
    • There remains the question of where to place the pressure plate
      • What rooms do vampires wander into when they are on break / not working?
    • Alternatively, dropping the minecart itself might be better
  • Keeping tantrum spirals from occurring:
    • Things that produce happy thoughts that I could take advantage of:
      • Well-constructed furniture/buildings (preferably owned and something the dwarf likes)
        • Does anyone know if there is diminishing returns on happiness gain versus value?
        • Do multiple pieces of furniture to admire help?
        • What building would be best?
      • Baths?
        • Would it make sense to deliberately introduce contaminants so dwarves would wash? (Especially with soap, athough that costs wood?)
      • Waterfall
      • Caged creature?
        • Dwarf-dependent
      • "Satisfied at work lately"
    • Don't let dwarves talk to each other
    • Critical dwarves (lever room, etc) should be ones that made artifacts, as they won't go insane
      • Can they tantrum?

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On vampires and happiness
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 09:46:32 pm »

This might be hard to do with what you have, but masterwork engravings are some of the most OP things in the game. I've gotten Royal Bedrooms that are 1x1 with a bed and a door from Engraving.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 10:55:11 pm »

You could run a giant mister that cycles the same tile of water from room to room around the entire fort. Put each dwarf into a squad that is never active and equip them with masterwork weapons and armor that will never wear out.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 08:53:12 am »

This might be hard to do with what you have, but masterwork engravings are some of the most OP things in the game. I've gotten Royal Bedrooms that are 1x1 with a bed and a door from Engraving.
That can easily backfire if you have any royalty on hand to get jealous. I've had issues before with counts and dukes getting pissed because I missed one block of native platinum in some dwarf's wall.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?