Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any Good Character Collector Games?  (Read 1781 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Any Good Character Collector Games?
« on: July 07, 2014, 07:28:10 pm »

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any games where you can unlock characters with different abilities through play. More specifically, I'm looking for an action game where I can swap between different characters in play, and, if possible, I'd like it if different character's special abilities were needed to get past obstacles.

[rant]This desire stems from me really liking Lego Star Wars and the first Lego Batman game, but not as much the games that followed, mostly due to the fact that they expanded the hub so much in later games and moved most of the collectibles there, so that it feels less like a fun challenge getting them and more like a lot of pointless errands. And then there's way you can be suddenly sucked into a new level by stepping past some invisible barrier, rather than deliberately deciding that, yes, I would like to start this new level; how they reuse abilities a lot from previous games so that you'll often come across some element and think "Oh, I'll need to collect a character with bombs to get past this"; the characters now speak English (or whatever language you're playing it in) as opposed to the adorable Legolish and miming of before (not a humongous complaint, but still a change I didn't personally like)[/rant]
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any Good Character Collector Games?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 07:41:25 pm »

If you can handle Dynasty Warriors games, then I'd recommend Warriors Orochi 3. It features the characters from Dynasty / Samurai Warriors, plus a few that don't fit in either.

You start the story with only three characters unlocked, collecting other characters by time travelling to before they died.

However, in each mission, you can only choose three characters to switch between.

And there's one boss fight in which you have to use several ballistae (turret section in a Warriors game, lol)
It's so bad, and takes forever.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 07:50:45 pm »

Suidoken? It's a JRPG with 106 characters to find around the world altho its also known for being piss easy.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 07:54:55 pm »

Well, if you're looking for something that lacks the first but has the second... the lost viking games. Also... Trine? I think it is. More recently.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 08:25:05 pm »

Suidoken? It's a JRPG with 106 characters to find around the world altho its also known for being piss easy.

Ehh its less easy if you don't find the super characters via guides or use them.

Besides it is far from being an "easy JRPG". Trust me there are far FAR easier. (in fact I am playing an easier one right now)

Anyhow I suggest 1, 2, 3, 5... you can skill 4 and tactics.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 08:44:35 pm »

X-Men Legends is a pretty good one for that, or Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone. They're mostly beat-em-up games, but they have some puzzles.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Endymion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 09:04:00 pm »

Pixelships! A cute little game I found a while back at www.pixelships.com and had to look up after this post reminded me. Its a cute retro thing where as you play you collect a crap-ton of different ships to use. With each having different stats and weapons and such. Although IIRC, I eventually found one or two favorite ships that I just used for everything.
Watching Wizard of Oz while listening to Dark Side of the Moon on shuffle.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 09:28:38 pm »

Exit Fate is a freeware RPG with 75 people you can recruit(though you can only have 6 party members at a time). Apparently it's inspired by Suikoden.

EDIT: My bad. Just noticed the download link on this website is broken.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 11:59:52 pm by Jack_Bread »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 09:38:44 pm »

Eh, these may be straying a bit from what's been (and the parameters kinda, but eh) said but Space Pirates and Zombies is sort-of an old school top-down space shooter where you can have up to 4 variable size unlockable schematic ships in your fleet and switch between them at will.

Bionic Dues is a trun-based tactics game but you have a squad of 4 ARPG-ish geared mechs you can switch to turn by turn and have to specialize and use them all effectively to win... but there's no unlockables there.

Binding of Isaac and Risk of Rain are actiony roguelike-like-likes with multiple characters/playstyles unlockable but you can't switch mid-game.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 11:12:23 pm »

Fire Emblem, all of them, hell the game gives you permadeath so its insane for keeping people alive.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 11:46:10 pm »

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 06:42:24 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 02:02:33 am »

Suikoden's known for being easy? I never knew that. I played the first one, thought it was a very good game. Definitely wouldn't have said it was easy.

To be completely honest i never played it but one review i did read said that the game reaches a point where your characters are so overpowered they can easely win on auto against just about everything you meet bar some bosses.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 08:18:30 am »

-
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 02:35:41 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 10:51:59 am »

Mass Effect 3's multiplayer has lots and lots of characters (and weapons) to unlock (by playing to get credits to buy packs which contain stuff, some of which are items or characters, and most of which tends to be consumables like medi-gel or rockets).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive