Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrant arrived injured  (Read 1582 times)

PatientRock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migrant arrived injured
« on: June 19, 2014, 05:40:32 pm »

Never had that happen before. Poor guy arrived with no legs. Great military experience so must be an immigrating veteran of some distant war. Hope one of my busy dwarves stops to haul the guy in from the edge of the map.
I am expert at Giant Badger training.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Migrant arrived injured
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 05:48:56 pm »

It's likely injuries that were gained in world-gen, either in a war or while fighting megabeasts, supernatural creatures, or wildlife. Unless you had another fort in the same world where a dwarf lost both legs. Migrants from old forts can migrate to new ones, if they are in the same world.

He may not be waiting to be brought to the hospital, and just be really slow due to being stuck on the ground.

The worst injury I've seen on a migrant was them having only one arm.

You should check to see if he is wearing any trophies from the things he has killed. You should also be able to look at the things he has killed in his status screen.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 06:05:52 pm »

I've had immigrants arrive unable to stand (due to missing/broken legs).  They don't show up with crutches, even if they have the Crutch-walking skill.  One of your dwarves has to drag him to a bed, diagnose him ("Yup, leg's gone."), and bring him a crutch.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

PatientRock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 06:27:34 pm »

Only two kills?! Shame. First fortress in this world so he's from world gen. Thanks for the insight!
I am expert at Giant Badger training.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 11:43:01 pm »

I've had immigrants arrive unable to stand (due to missing/broken legs).  They don't show up with crutches, even if they have the Crutch-walking skill.  One of your dwarves has to drag him to a bed, diagnose him ("Yup, leg's gone."), and bring him a crutch.

*chew on grass stalk for awhile*
*stroke beard*
*poke at empty space where leg would be*
"Yup, well there's yer problem!"
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 10:54:19 am »

you clearly have not seen my fort. one of my hammerdwarves came into this fort completely fine and immediately got his right arm ripped off by a giant thrips.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 02:06:54 pm »

I remember someone posting last year about a migrant that dropped over dead of old age about three steps onto the map.

My guess, based on what I remember from older threads, is that like age the injuries aren't yet fully handled outside fortress mode (or when your adventurer is right near the guy) so they suddenly take on whatever attributes they should have had already when they arrive at your fort.  On the same lines, this would explain the (for example) 20 year old children that you can't assign labors to until their birthday rolls around.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 02:09:12 pm by krenshala »
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 06:27:37 pm »

Those dwarves are an early fort's godsend, because they usually have good combat skills. Conscript!
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 07:29:51 am »

I had a dwarf arrive to Stableconstruct minus one ear, one arm and several toes. Dead now, so I can't get a screenshot, but I distinctly remember being more than a little concerned when a +migrant+ showed up.
くコ:彡

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 11:52:45 am »

Humorously enough I had one arrive at my current fort, after my post above, without a nose plus some other injuries.  She got to be one of the militia due to her lack of creativity and previous combat experience.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"