Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oh wow, magma + glacier = better than double rainbow!  (Read 1482 times)

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oh wow, magma + glacier = better than double rainbow!
« on: June 28, 2014, 06:13:04 am »

I embarked on a glacier, which was perfectly flat, and built a nice powerful magma pump stack to the surface, and flooded it with magma. The results are absolutely incredible, this great tongue of lava/obsidian forms, sprawling and snaking across the map. When the heat melts the ice floor, the ice floor turns into water, the water turns into obsidian, making a layer of obsidian on top of the glacier, but then something weird happens, when the conditions are right, then game-of-life style, you get a 2-z wall of obsidian forming along the edges of the lava flow, containing the lava on those edges, allowing it to advance only on the other two edges, thus you get a neatly contained 'tongue' I believe the wall formation is related to cave-ins causing water to splash up forming high walls along the boundaries, but however it happens it is awesome. It's everything I've always dreamed of from an artificial volcano, and more!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The great tongue of lava seen from above, note it has already hit the map edge on the east. On the west, the front is still advancing in a great cascade of boiling goodness. The south and north edges are sealed.

Note how clean the obsidian is (for the most part, excepting the map edges and where the magma first hit the ice around the pump stack)

Once the obsidian-tongue starts rolling properly, the ice underneath is perfectly undisturbed.

Urist McImmigrant: WTF?! Guess we go home then?!

Not sure what I'm going to do with my great obsidian tongue. Maybe hollow it out into a kind of maze then re-flood it with lava when sieges are stuck inside.

PS. If you do not know what double rainbow is a reference to then save yourself and do not find out!.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oh wow, magma + glacier = better than double rainbow!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 07:21:15 am »

PS. If you do not know what double rainbow is a reference to then save yourself and do not find out!.

Why did you have to say that? WHY?

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!