Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pachythropy  (Read 1351 times)

Gravitybeat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pachythropy
« on: June 15, 2014, 06:51:24 pm »

Hello! I'm a fairly new player to Dwarf Fortress and it's come to my attention that having a fort with 11 Vampires, 4 Were-Elephants and 50 Dwarves is not normal at all. That said, I know that I do not have anywhere near the amount of knowledge, skill or practice to squeeze the proper amount of Fun out of this situation.

So why don't you take a shot? The fortress is still young, there hasn't been an invasion yet, but there's a forgotten beast wandering around in the caves to play with and plenty of flux for working with Goblinite. The area is in an Untamed Wilds biome, so you should have stuff to beat up too.

I'm interested in seeing what you all do with my little fort- and I'm sure there's plenty of SCIENCE!! to be had with exactly how much damage a werepachy can do.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pachythropy
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 06:59:40 pm »

I'd be more interested in hearing about whether you had any custom map generation settings that you used that got you this fort? Or was this a non-advanced-options, vanilla worldgen?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Gravitybeat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 07:19:38 pm »

I'd be more interested in hearing about whether you had any custom map generation settings that you used that got you this fort? Or was this a non-advanced-options, vanilla worldgen?
This is completely vanilla. I don't know how to do custom map generation.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 07:31:45 pm »

Small? large? what options did you choose from the vanilla menu?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Gravitybeat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 08:24:06 pm »

I believe it's a medium to large sized world, with a short or very short history. I believe the world has high savagery and more megabeasts than normal. I know that there are more frequent ores. I made it a long time ago, so I'm a little hazy on the details, unless there's a way to specifically check?

whatever1works

• Bay Watcher
  • *Flips table*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 09:43:36 pm »

I went through your fort and could only find one confirmed vampire (and no were-animals)... although I'm under the impression that dwarf immigrants can only show up as a vampire or were-animal if they've been cursed by a deity (which i only found one instance of). Do you have a list of names?
"Do you want some fish balls?", "No thanks I'll have a steak please"

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 10:03:10 pm »

DFHack confirms 1 cursed creature.

Gravitybeat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 02:39:27 pm »

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry! You guys are right. I'm still pretty new at this - I think I read the relationships screen wrong. I guess I got really excited about were-elephants and let my enthusiasm get the best of me.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 05:51:15 pm »

This is offtopic... but whats the deal with the characters?

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 12:48:41 am »

what do you mean?
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 07:43:17 am »

Assuming you mean what I think you mean, I suspect OP plays with a tileset which modifies the raws to use different characters for display, which doesn't translate neatly to ASCII.
くコ:彡