Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to Bury a Dead Axe Lord in a Cage?  (Read 1555 times)

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to Bury a Dead Axe Lord in a Cage?
« on: June 18, 2014, 11:41:53 pm »

We lost our greatest champion, a candy clad Axe Lord that was legendary in just about every melee related combat skill. He died in the most dishonorably pathetic manner imaginable. Apparently he somehow got stuck in a cage trap while sparing and then not a single of the 70 useless idling dwarves in the dining  room bothered to bring him some water for weeks on end. Thus ended the life of one of our greatest legends. After countless blood thirsty goblins and trolls failed to even scratch this living God, he fell to the gross incompetence of the very people he had spent the last decade protecting. They couldn't even be bothered to bring him a bucket of water despite the fact that his cage had ended up mere footsteps away from the well.

Now my problem is I wish to bury this hero in a proper tomb but I don't know how I can get him out of the cage. They aren't picking up his body like they would normally and I assume the cage is to blame.  I've already tried connecting a lever to the cage and that didn't work. How can I get this poor dead beard out of the cage they left him to rot in?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: How to Bury a Dead Axe Lord in a Cage?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 12:04:59 am »

Just mount the cage in the dining room so the dwarves can gaze upon their champion and choke on the stink of their betrayal.

Deconstruct the cage and then mark the corpse for dumping. I think that should work.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 12:19:18 am »

Just mount the cage in the dining room so the dwarves can gaze upon their champion and choke on the stink of their betrayal.

Deconstruct the cage and then mark the corpse for dumping. I think that should work.

Thanks for the heads up. It's sad I'm going to have to ad further insult to injury by dumping our champion's body in the garbage pile after everything the poor bastard has already endured. He never should have gone out like that. He deserved to die in glorious combat with some great eldritch horror from the abyss, not starving to death in a cage and then dumped in the trash.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 01:05:49 am »

Q: How to Bury a Dead Axe Lord in a Cage?
A: In magma.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 02:29:57 am »

He fell victim to the "feed prisoner" bug - those jobs reliably fail to be created.
"Displaying" the corpse in the cage has no directly negative effects other than the potential ghost - the dwarfs will never notice the cadaver and it won't rot. You could decide to keep the cage as the axe lord's sarcophagus and memorialise them with a slab.

I'm afraid you'll have to order the corpse dumped to get it out of the cage - dwarfs just don't perceive contained "items" and won't handle them otherwise. The only alternative is shotgunning - a double-shot setup where you first smash a minecart into a wall to fling out the cage, then let the cage fly into another wall to spill its contents.

Why did you have a cage trap in your sparring area? Sparring dwarfs regularly get stunned and thus trap-susceptible when charging around during their sparring practice, so you were really inviting this kind of thing. Next time, you better install a weapon trap there; easier to notice an accident when your axe lord is suddenly retrieved in five small pieces :P

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 07:19:23 am »

before he died, you could have constructed the cage with the axe lord in it and then let him out by selecting the cage with q and then press enter on the axe lord.

this also gives him a massive happiness boost once he's freed.

hindsight is 20/20 though.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 11:32:04 am »

"this also gives him a massive happiness boost once he's freed."

So what you're saying is I could build sort of an "attitude adjustment center" that is so annoying the dorfs get happy when they get out?
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 01:04:31 pm »

"this also gives him a massive happiness boost once he's freed."

So what you're saying is I could build sort of an "attitude adjustment center" that is so annoying the dorfs get happy when they get out?

Why not.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 03:47:22 pm »

He deserved to die in glorious combat with some great eldritch horror from the abyss
I think you could argue the feed prisoner bug is fairly eldritch. Think about it. An impossibly vast, utterly invisible thing is lurking in your fortress. What it doesn't want dwarves to see, they don't see. When it decided to kill... their eyes looked right passed the dwarf in the cage, his cries fell on deaf ears. One can only imagine what was going through his head as he gradually succumbed to starvation not a dozen feet away from someone who could have saved him.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 05:01:17 pm »

Why did you have a cage trap in your sparring area? Sparring dwarfs regularly get stunned and thus trap-susceptible when charging around during their sparring practice, so you were really inviting this kind of thing. Next time, you better install a weapon trap there; easier to notice an accident when your axe lord is suddenly retrieved in five small pieces :P

I actually don't have a cage trap near my training area but since there were no enemy units on the map and no combat logs other than sparring I assumed it's how he must have gotten trapped. The only other way I can think of it happening is with some of my grumpy pastured guard animals that occasionally lash out at those who pass near them. I have a couple of guard kitties and dogs next to some cage traps in a few spots around the map. Perhaps he dodged an angry kitty into a trap or something.

Edit: Going way back in the log I found something. Looks like he got in a fist fight. It's mixed into the combat logs with all the sparring and occurred after the last big siege which is where I last saw him alive and free.

It sucks that he died such a lame death. That dwarf was a true beast in combat. He had over a decade of combat under his belt.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 05:08:52 pm by Melting Sky »

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 05:43:05 pm »

Build the cage. Then, build a lever. Then, link the lever to the cage. Then, pull the lever.
This will deconstruct the cage, and dump all its contents out, so that they can be honourably buried.

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 11:16:35 pm »

The cage shall be his eternal prison and the dwarves shall gaze upon his remains and remember their grand betrayal.
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.