Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burrows don't want to be in a specific place, can't determine why  (Read 679 times)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile

So, I've been playing with burrows, and I've got one giant burrow that was covering everywhere I was working.

I can add more area to the burrow, but for some reason I've got an area that just won't accept a burrow being created.  It's in open air (much like much of my other burrow designations 1Z up from the ground level), and it just won't go down.  I've tried even creating a new burrow anchored on the other side of this 'invisible line' I keep running into, but it won't generate.

So, what makes a burrow not want to exist somewhere?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Burrows don't want to be in a specific place, can't determine why
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 11:07:51 pm »

I'm pretty sure you can't add burrows to open air. It needs to be pathable.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 11:16:46 pm »

You can.

z+1 from ground.

And the burrow that I've designated along the sides:

Keep in mind that's why you can set burrows underground before you've dug them.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 11:17:07 pm »

I think this is something I've run into this when building up; Not all of the empty space per z-level is initialized when you build up into it and you can't place the burrow on tiles that don't exist in memory yet.
Can you build a stairs into the area, de-construct them and re-try placing the burrow?

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 11:21:00 pm »

I think this is something I've run into this when building up; Not all of the empty space per z-level is initialized when you build up into it and you can't place the burrow on tiles that don't exist in memory yet.
Can you build a stairs into the area, de-construct them and re-try placing the burrow?

Ah!  That would make some sense.

Unfortunately, more difficult than it sounds due to my local zombie invasion.  However, at least now I have a reason/solution.  Thanks!

Edit: Yup, that was it.  Simply building out a floor into the 'dead zone' got the memory to activate the region.