Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Disease Disaster!  (Read 869 times)

Wandering_Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Disease Disaster!
« on: June 17, 2014, 02:10:52 pm »

So, I just start up Masterwork Fortress, and go about doing what one would do; Digging holes, gathering wood and plants, and plan out what my temporary fortress will look like while my miners...
Wait, why is one of my miners suddenly vomiting? Is that blood? Holy crap that's blood.
Adil Kosothsakrith, Miner has suffocated.
Well, crap.
And it seems like he got the other miner infected, too.
Ashmon Gidthurangzak, Miner is throwing a tantrum!
A few ticks later and the poor guy is dead.
What in the name of Armok just happened??

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disease Disaster!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 02:13:39 pm »

Lets try this again: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125638.0
And: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138895.0

but i bet it's warpstone, nasty stuff that causes lung necrosis which results in death
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 02:14:01 pm »

Have you wondered why diseases were off by default?

Well, sounds like one of your dwarves brought the plague.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 02:33:16 pm »

Might of been coal dust for the first dwarf also.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Wandering_Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 02:50:56 pm »

Actually, Zach was right. It was, indeed, warpstone.
Well, crap, so I've abandoned that fort. I tried to do another fort in the general area, but I'm literally swimming in warpstone while trying to dig my well.
Double crap.
What is warpstone useful for anyway?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 03:03:39 pm »

Besides tech stuff? It's used for inflicting the syndrome on anyone you don't like.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 03:51:38 pm »

In my current fortress, 2 of my starting 7 died of warpstone syndrome.  One was a miner/mason, and the other, a miner/carpenter.  They were, respectively, my only skilled mason and carpenter.  Not exactly disposable.

I watched the disease progress; death was by no means immediate (took a season or so).  It started with dizziness and nausea.  The dizziness caused them not to be able to make any quality goods, so I ended up with a crapload of no-quality beds and chairs and tables.  After a while I noticed that many of their internal organs (including lungs and brain!) were showing as "rotten" on their Z->Status screens.

I was able to muddle through that first year, replacing 1 of the miners (started with 3, now down to 2).  Migrants came slowly at first, then a bunch in the Spring, so I'm back up to 3 miners now.  One of those 3 just hit "weak warpstone" (not the full-strength warpstone that the first two guys hit on Z-level -18).  I don't know precisely how it differs from the full warpstone.  I suppose I'm going to find out.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 05:04:39 pm »

there are 3 variants to warpstone. Stable, Weak, and Unstable.

Stable warpstone (WARPSTONE_SOLID in the raws) leaves a boulder behind that can be used for a few tech related purposes.

Weak Warpstone (WARPSTONE_STABLE in the raws) Evaporates on mining, and the miner that hits it, is afflicted with a MINOR syndrome. They get dizzy, and slow, for a few days, and generally be less efficient. BUT it is not debilitating, just annoying.

That leaves us with ...
Unstable Warpstone (WARPSTONE_UNSTABLE in the raws). This stuff is NASTY, and it WILL kill your miners. Think, Ebola. In rock form. Released as a breathable gas, upon getting struck by a pick. Not a pleasant death either.

To the OP, it sounds like both of your miners got hit by unstable warpstone.
There are a few ways to avoid this very nasty death.
1) and easiest, Turn harder mining OFF
2) only use MASONS GUILD dwarves for mining. They are immune to the nasty. It will still slow them down, but only about on par with weak warpstone on a normal dwarf
3) use 'digv' when mining warpstone. It will NOT "dig" the unstable, only the weak. You can later go back, and manually dig the Stable warpstone (gotta get the good stuff =P)
4) use DFHACK changevein to change all the weak stuff to stable, and especially change the unstable to stable or weak.
5) use dfhack reveal, to check out a vein of warpstone to see if there is any unstable in an area you are planning on digging out for various uses.
and finally
6) (my favorite, as well as many others) Dont have miners doing ANYTHING but mining, and just dont care when they die. Your coffin industry will be booming. Between coal dust, and warpstone, you will go through at least 5 - 10 miners a year. Dont like a specific dorf? Stick em in the mining crew. Using the mining crew as a death sentence. You just have to remember that all dorfs are expendable. If you have gold flowing out your ears, you can use the guild hall to change some of your miners into masons guild. In past versions masons guild had a few problems and wouldnt properly convert. I dont know if meph has fixed it yet.