Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Age of Goblins  (Read 1212 times)

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Age of Goblins
« on: June 17, 2014, 12:49:12 am »

Just got the message:

"The world has passed into the Age of Goblins"

Does it mean all the gobbos are dead? Similalry to how world passes into the age of heroes. Actually this year I had no sieges...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 01:04:00 am by Urist Sonuvagimli »

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Goblins
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 03:29:45 am »

Quite the opposite.

Icecoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 03:54:39 am »

Quite the opposite.

Yes, it means, that goblins are the dominant race. Good luck. ;D

Here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Calendar
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 04:01:53 am by Icecoon »
"This is a well crafted billon statue of Urist McChickenlover.
The item is a well-designed image Urist McChickenlover the dwarf and a chicken in billon.
Urist McChickenlover is embracing the chicken."

Colony Alpha <<<Warhammer 40k, Squats, Orkz, Eldar and more... >>>

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 05:25:52 am »

What the... How the hell are Goblin numbers became dominant? My fort (which is mountainhomes) kill list is over 2000, and at least 3/4 of it are composed of goblins, and their clown general corpse is main square's decoration...
 Do they just spawn? Don't goblins have to go through usual birth-growth cycle? My fort is only 7 years old, they cannot possibly procreate that fast...

Nice Save

• Bay Watcher
  • Suddenly:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 06:03:06 am »

More likely they just wiped out a mountainhome or something, changing the ratio that way.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 07:18:13 am »

I don't think anything happens in the world outside your fortress, not yet. So it must have been something in your fort that brought about the new age. What probably happened is that goblins already were dominant, but as long as there were some powerful creatures (titans/megabeasts), the game mechanics didn't allow the goblin age to come. What was the name of the previous age?

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 09:15:15 am »

goblins don't die of old age and breed just as fast as your dwarves. plus they kidnap other creatures and assimilate them into their society.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 09:17:45 am »

I don't think anything happens in the world outside your fortress, not yet. So it must have been something in your fort that brought about the new age. What probably happened is that goblins already were dominant, but as long as there were some powerful creatures (titans/megabeasts), the game mechanics didn't allow the goblin age to come. What was the name of the previous age?

The prev. age was called Age of Heroes. But I reckon it is all clear to me now. The world was generated with size set to pocket, number of civs,beasts,savagery to very high and minerals to very rare. Humans were already extinct by age of 250, the only civs left were kobs, dwarves, elves and goblins.

For added challenge, I chose to embark in freezing tundra, aquifier, saltwater, untamed wilds. Obviously, such setup was pretty inhospitable to large scale-living, something migrants couldn't grasp while coming in mobs and bringing their derpy grazing pets with them. Brief 7 year history of Sarveshedud, the aboveground fort:

~Embark. The only miner encases himself in ice while digging 5x5 pond. Surface has no trees.
~Disassembled the wagon, built depot. Got the business moving. Fort grows to 136 very fast.
~Vucar Shemamkol, the pet cow calf starves to death
~128 dwarves killed in a tantrum spiral. Number is precise, because I had to personally crush all of them under cave-in. 8 survived, though.
~Stone is found. Hurray!
~up to 10 miners encased in ice while digging the stone, and subsequently breaching the aquifier.
~90+ dead in goblin siege led by clown (bull fiend, bloated, beware the sting!)
~up to 30 dwarves dead in an ambush trying to collect last year goblinite.
~Queen arrives
~5 dwarves executed for not producing aluminium statues.
~Current fort population: 112

With death toll of 250+ (counting various misc. deaths), and migrants STILL coming in clusters of 2 to 5, it's no wonder goblins dominate. I guess I am to blame...

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 11:06:31 am »

~Embark. The only miner encases himself in ice while digging 5x5 pond. Surface has no trees.
~Disassembled the wagon, built depot. Got the business moving. Fort grows to 136 very fast.
~128 dwarves killed in a tantrum spiral. Number is precise, because I had to personally crush all of them under cave-in. 8 survived, though.
~Stone is found. Hurray!
~up to 10 miners encased in ice while digging the stone, and subsequently breaching the aquifier.
~Queen arrives

With death toll of 250+ (counting various misc. deaths), and migrants STILL coming in clusters of 2 to 5, it's no wonder goblins dominate. I guess I am to blame...
Is it chronological? Did you have 100+ dwarves before you found stone? If yes, then holy crap.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 05:15:15 pm »

I think you hit the nail on the head. It was the number of Dwarven historical figures that migrated to and died in the fortress that tipped the scales. Amongst those immigrants were the last of the great historical dwarves and with them perished the Age of Heroes leaving the Goblins as the undisputed power left surviving in the world.

I wonder what would happen if you retired the fort as this would allow your dwarves to rejoin the world's pool of historical figures and thus it might push the world back into the Age of Heroes again. I'm not sure how DF currently deals with dwarves from abandoned fortresses but I imagine they might get counted as historical figures once a fort is abandoned?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 05:21:13 pm by Melting Sky »

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 07:52:09 pm »

The prev. age was called Age of Heroes. But I reckon it is all clear to me now. The world was generated with size set to pocket, number of civs,beasts,savagery to very high and minerals to very rare. Humans were already extinct by age of 250, the only civs left were kobs, dwarves, elves and goblins.

For added challenge, I chose to embark in freezing tundra, aquifier, saltwater, untamed wilds. Obviously, such setup was pretty inhospitable to large scale-living, something migrants couldn't grasp while coming in mobs and bringing their derpy grazing pets with them. Brief 7 year history of Sarveshedud, the aboveground fort:

~Stone is found. Hurray!
~Queen arrives

Mercy! Please for the sake of your dear beardy little charges learn how to safely dig into aquifers. The trick is a very simple one. Channeling is extremely dangerous and should be used under only tightly controlled conditions. Staircases are extremely safe to dig under most circumstances.
So first dig downstairs into the sky-exposed floor on top of the aquifer and dig up/down stairs into the aquifer layer (this is completely safe because the tiles aren't exposed to sky at this point). The up/down stairs will fill with water, because they are filled with water, dwarves will be unable to enter the tile, thus they are unable to get frozen to death, once all the stairs are dug in, then, and only then, channel out the downstairs on top exposing the water to sky. This will be done with complete safety and because the tiles are filled with 7/7 water, proper ice floors will form on top too. You can then channel out the ice if needed to expose the next aquifer layer. Done properly, the staircase + channelling technique is a completely safe and foolproof method for penetrating aquifers in cold biomes (and has the side bonus of training mining faster since miners perform several extra actions per tile).

This message was brought to you by the sole survivor of DOHS, Dwarven Occupational Health and Safety, who is currently chained to a wall until he relinquishes his "undwarven" views and accepts that death and serious injury (and being raised by a necromancer and killed again, or chained to a wall in a room full of turkeys) is what it means to be a Dwarf.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 09:52:05 pm »

~Stone is found. Hurray!
~Queen arrives

Mercy! Please for the sake of your dear beardy little charges learn how to safely dig into aquifers. The trick is a very simple one. Channeling is extremely dangerous and should be used under only tightly controlled conditions. Staircases are extremely safe to dig under most circumstances.
So first dig downstairs into the sky-exposed floor on top of the aquifer and dig up/down stairs into the aquifer layer (this is completely safe because the tiles aren't exposed to sky at this point). The up/down stairs will fill with water, because they are filled with water, dwarves will be unable to enter the tile, thus they are unable to get frozen to death, once all the stairs are dug in, then, and only then, channel out the downstairs on top exposing the water to sky. This will be done with complete safety and because the tiles are filled with 7/7 water, proper ice floors will form on top too. You can then channel out the ice if needed to expose the next aquifer layer. Done properly, the staircase + channelling technique is a completely safe and foolproof method for penetrating aquifers in cold biomes (and has the side bonus of training mining faster since miners perform several extra actions per tile).

This message was brought to you by the sole survivor of DOHS, Dwarven Occupational Health and Safety, who is currently chained to a wall until he relinquishes his "undwarven" views and accepts that death and serious injury (and being raised by a necromancer and killed again, or chained to a wall in a room full of turkeys) is what it means to be a Dwarf.

Just tried that out. Really, the reason behind miners freezing was the channeling, as they would stand on the ramp they had just dug as it fills with water. Thanks for the advice!

Also, I'll try to abandon the fort and start  new one to see what will happen to the age.

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 09:57:40 pm »

~Stone is found. Hurray!
~Queen arrives

Is it chronological? Did you have 100+ dwarves before you found stone? If yes, then holy crap.

Yes, the timeline of events is correct. I traded some stone and blocks from caraans though, which was enough to build a wall.