Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forgotten Beast goes from a nightmare to....  (Read 597 times)

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forgotten Beast goes from a nightmare to....
« on: June 19, 2014, 11:55:41 am »

So ya, first were-beast, and now its a, gnome?  If I go and try to kill it in gnome form will it be easy to kill or will it turn back into a were-buffalo?
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Beast goes from a nightmare to....
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 12:01:24 pm »

A werebeast and a forgotten beast are two totally different things.

A forgotten beast is a procedurally generated creature that appears in the caverns.  It may be an enlarged version of a regular creature (like a gigantic tick or whatever), or it might be a blob composed of vomit, or ice, or fire, or steam, ....

A werebeast is a humanoid that undergoes transformations based on the phase of the moon.  You can see the moon in the very upper right corner of the screen, above the Z-level indicator.  When a werebeast transforms BACK into its humanoid form, it generally tries to flee the map immediately.  So they are typically not a serious threat, simply because their time of transformation is so short.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Beast goes from a nightmare to....
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 12:05:34 pm »

Ahhh I c.  It was the popup with the red text and description that made me think forgotten beast. 
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.