Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: iRacing Motorsport Sim MMO: Updated with Free Three Months  (Read 2909 times)

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
iRacing Motorsport Sim MMO: Updated with Free Three Months
« on: January 29, 2014, 05:11:39 am »

Current Promo Codes (Non Stackable) Last Updated 6/24:

First 3 months for the price of 1 ($12), 90% of which goes to Josh Wise's racing team. PR-JoshWise98

First 3 months for $9 plus a Free Gen 6 Car: PR-LIONEL

One Month for $5, no other bonuses: PR-INRACING

EDIT: Holy crap how did I forget the actual link to the game. Sorry!

Spoiler: Big Image (click to show/hide)

So recently I've started playing iRacing, which is a subscription based racing simulator. It's rather on the expensive side, as you also have to buy the additional tracks and cars, but most motorsports buffs I know (several of whom race in real life) swear by it. It features laser scanned tracks in order to have the perfect feel of each one, and how tires interact with them. The basic package that comes free with the sub contains 7 cars and 10 tracks. Of those 10 tracks 5 are ovals and 5 are road courses, although one of the ovals has an alternate road course configuration, and a few of the road courses have alternate configurations as well. There also is an included Skid Pad.

Ingame each car has it's own series (Some series have two or three cars, such as certain NASCAR series having both the Chevy and Ford model of their respective level in them) and races are scheduled on a regular basis (Every hour or two), and divided into 12 week seasons. Each week the track changes (although some series don't use 12 tracks, but rather rotate say, 4 tracks 3 times) and the entire schedule is announced a week or two before the 3 month season starts. Currently I'm running a 3 month sub, and have bought an extra car and the tracks it needed for the season (In this case the Chevy National Impala used in the real life dev circuit for NASCAR). The game is also technically playable on a gamepad, but you really need a racing wheel to be competitive, and advanced series you even need it to be safe.

Lastly, the game has what is in my opinion the most important aspect, automatic disqualification and the ability to report drivers. The auto disqualifications happen if you incur too many "incidents" in a race, and is fairly lenient. You'd need to be in about 4 major accidents in a race in order to trip it, or drive straight off the track 17 times. Driving backwards for a decent length also automatically trips it. The protest system allows you to report drivers for things like intentionally wrecking you or other drivers, but they really only actually act if it's clear it was deliberate (And you remembered to record a replay with the in game replay viewer of course).

With that I leave you with a video made by a community member about surviving the rookie series. (It's highly dramatized about how bad the rookie races actually are though, I managed to promote from Rookie in about a week)

One very last thing. They just pushed an update a day or two ago, and the site is having some hiccups. Thats why if you do purchase it, it will say weird things like only 1 user online, when it should be saying 2,000-5,000 or thereabouts depending on the time of day/week.

Datgum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: iRacing Motorsport Sim MMO
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 07:41:30 pm »

Thanks for recommending this game. I took a look at it, thought it looked amazing and bought a Wheel and Pedal without even trying it, and now I've been playing for a few days and it does in fact kick ass.

Nao

• Bay Watcher
  • (A!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 08:42:25 pm »

Woha, an sim-racing thread on bay12 :D

I only a month and a half ago i was a hair from subscribing to IRacing... but then Asetto Corsa happened :P.
The "MMO" element of IRacing is great thou! I would love if more sims embraced the class licensing based on clear driving and "always online" testing but without quite silly monetary model they got there. For me the combined cost of subscription and paid content (of varied quality) would only work if it was the number one and only game i would play. (And i cannot think of not playing AC now and in the future).

Anyways I'll keep an eye on the thread for any racing/driving/setup discussions :) (current gen sims are good enough that setup/technique is interchangeable anyways).

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 01:48:56 am »

Yeah, iRacing's pricing model does leave a lot to be desired but the thing is, they have sorta a monopoly. AC, Gran Turismo, every other racing sim mostly focuses on Road racing. For Oval racers, it's either iRacing or.... the fantastically broken and arcady NASCAR The Game. I was playing that up until I realized it would CTD every time I went for a pitstop and while a ton of people had that problem, nobody had the solution. That said the community for the most part is great, a byproduct of having your real name as your driver name I'd wager, taking away the whole GIFT effect. Even the forums are great for the most part, unless you bring up one of three topics, those being the No Fault Incident System, how easy/hard licenses are to gain, and Danica Patrick.

Actually got a few "sponsors" as it is, while for my level (D class) an actual sponsor usually just means that you fly their colors for free, and they let you run logos on your car without worrying about a big company smacking you with a C&D if you start streaming on Twitch with their stuff on their car. For people who race in the streamed series (The top 50 drivers in each discipline IIRC) they can get actual money and gear from their sponsors. Currently the division I compete in, the Peak Series (Which is the iRacing version of NASCAR's K&N Dev Series, renamed for sponsorship reasons) has it so that whoever wins the division at the end of the 3 month season gets to compete in the driver combine to find their next driver, which is pretty great.

Anyway, though I'd post my current car, the marking above the window you can't make out is my name and country, like how real drivers sign their car. Heh.

Spoiler: Big images (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 01:50:30 am by Silent_Thunder »

Nao

• Bay Watcher
  • (A!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 12:04:13 pm »

Even thou i'm european i would love to have more oval racing sims, these images bring back good memories :) (nascar racing 2002 i think it was hehe).

Good luck with your races! If you ever get on one of these twitch streams drop a line here, it would be nice to cheer for B12er :D

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 03:09:06 am »

Even thou i'm european i would love to have more oval racing sims, these images bring back good memories :) (nascar racing 2002 i think it was hehe).

Good luck with your races! If you ever get on one of these twitch streams drop a line here, it would be nice to cheer for B12er :D

Yeah, I think a lot of the guys from Papyrus moved to FIRST after that company burned to the ground. I know FIRST got the Nascar Racing engine from Papyrus after they died, so it's somewhat based on that engine, just with a decade of tweaking obviously. That said HOLY MOTHER OF GOD BRISTOL IS TERRIFYING. 24 cars on a half mile coming out of the turns at 110, with no cautions because it's a D class series. My driving isnt good enough either, last race by the end she was not turning well at all, to the point where I was nearly a second off pace, and this is a track with 15-16 seconds laps. I pitted in instead of just pulling over and exiting in order to check my tires, and the right front was at around I think 65% 55% wear for the inside and middle, forget the outside, but it was just as bad, and it was about 30 degrees hotter than the other 3 tires. Problem is it's just short enough of a race for pitting to ruin any chance of winning.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 03:31:26 am »

So been messing around with paints some more, painted nearly all my cars with the default templates you can download and essentially "Paint by the Numbers" and add your logos to. Worked my way to Trucks and Indycar now, and although my Rating has essentially been destroyed by not having a single good race last week (I could not wrap my head around Auto Club Speedway) really enjoying the car, and managed to put in a really good qualifying time for IndyCar today (Series switch to the next weeks track at Monday/Tuesday 00:00 GMT) at Homestead Miami. So with Homestead being a somewhat easy to not wreck track for Inday, and the Legends Cars being on a road track this week (but still counting towards Oval ratings), I should have my Oval B license by the end of the week.

Also got a triple monitor setup working, which is really nice now. Anyway, here's another screenshot of me going 3 wide at Auto Club Speedway. #3 slingshot right into that gap and was GONE by the time we hit turn 3.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 09:35:14 am »

Bumping this to point out they're doing a 1 month trial promo. The NASCAR Toyota just got added to the game, and Toyota is doing a promo where you get it free plus a month of iRacing for new customers. Promo code is PR-CAMRY

It still needs a credit card number of course, but you can cancel the auto-renew as soon as you log in.

Enter the promo code on this link and it should work for you. http://www.iracing.com/membership/

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: iRacing Motorsport Sim MMO: Updated with Toyota Promo info 4/25
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 07:33:38 pm »

So, yet another bump for a reason. I accidentally was messing around, and managed to create a league. Since I already went through the trouble of that, not to mention $10 credit I earned last year down the drain, I decided to see if anyone was interested in a Bay 12 Cup league using only the subscription content, plus maybe 1 paid car/track combo. We'd probably have 2 drop weeks, so that means you can miss the paid content race and one other without suffering any standings issues (Other than the chance to improve your points by doing better than your 2 worst races mind you).

Unfortunately the old promo code for the free car no longer works. The current promo code is PR-JoshWise98 which gets you 3 months for the price of 1, as well as sends 90% of the proceeds from that first 3 months to Josh Wise's race team. Josh Wise being the driver who got sponsored by Dogecoin.

Anyway, if enough people have interest in this, I'd love to do such a thing. I know many of you may not be comfortable linking your name with your forum identity, so anyone who joins is under no obligation to tell us who they are on the forums if they aren't comfortable with it. Wanted to make that clear, although my identity is pretty much out there as league founder I suppose.

Anyway if you have any questions, feel free to ask. If you decide to sign up, this link will take you to the league page.