Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anybody know what determines order of butcher products in workshops?  (Read 693 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I.e., it goes:

Hoof
Cartilage
heart
guts
[bunch of other organs]
skull
skin
meat
bone

Is there any way for me to make meat go first? The order in game in the workshop doesn't seem to align with the order of tissues in any of the raw files anywhere, either forward or reverse.

I need meat to go first in order to influence the order of items hauled in a set of custom reactions I'm making, in order to get around the broken-ness of stacks of body parts with minimal waste. Long story. But they seem to grab stuff in order of the list, and meat being last is a problem.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody know what determines order of butcher products in workshops?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 03:01:00 pm »

I.e., it goes:

Hoof
Cartilage
heart
guts
[bunch of other organs]
skull
skin
meat
bone

Is there any way for me to make meat go first? The order in game in the workshop doesn't seem to align with the order of tissues in any of the raw files anywhere, either forward or reverse.

I need meat to go first in order to influence the order of items hauled in a set of custom reactions I'm making, in order to get around the broken-ness of stacks of body parts with minimal waste. Long story. But they seem to grab stuff in order of the list, and meat being last is a problem.
What exactly is this list?  If it is a list of the order of hauling, why does the order they get hauled in matter?

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 03:14:01 pm »

It's the list that tissues appear in the workshop after butchery. (I think I left out eyes and liver).

Anyway, the order matters, because stacks of meat are broken (just like bones) and reactions don't use them correctly, unlike stacks of other things. Instead, if you bring a stack of meat of 500 to a workshop and have a reaction (like [GRIND_MEAT]) with a reagent amount of, say, 5, it will use 5 of the meat and the other 495 will be destroyed. Unlike in reactions with non-bady-part stacks, where 495 would (correctly) be preserved OR the reaction would scale by multiples.

To get around this, I made many reactions in different denominations, so like "grind 1 meat" "grind 5 meat" "grind 10 meat" "grind 20 meat" "grind 100 meat" etc. and they auto-activate in descending order, so it will choose the largest available option, and thus only waste small %ages of meat, despite stacks being broken.

However, since organs are also grindable (ba dum tish!), what happens is that if you have, say, 20 meat only 1 pancreas left, it will perform the "grind 10 meat" reaction and grab the pancreas first, since it's first in the list, then the 20 meat stack, and make 10 meat total, wasting the other 11 meat.

But if meat were listed first, then it would grind 20 meat, use all the available meat stack, then grind 1 meat, and use the pancreas, leading to less waste.

In short, I want the largest stacks first (meat, then the biggest typical organs, all the way down to eyes last) so that mathematically, you tend to get minimal waste.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 03:43:32 pm »

This has always bugged me about the cooking raws, but I'm not sure you can do anything about it.  Hopefully Toady will implement item priorities that can be set in game later.