Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What are the best animals to bring along on embark?  (Read 7556 times)

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are the best animals to bring along on embark?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 01:31:55 pm »

But you can't get those on embark...

You can if you add USE_ANY_PET_RACE to the dwarven entity file which also gives you the option of importing Giant Cave Spiders.

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 01:38:20 pm »

But you can't get those on embark...

You can if you add USE_ANY_PET_RACE to the dwarven entity file which also gives you the option of importing Giant Cave Spiders.

Yeah, but that would take away most of the fun.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 08:06:48 pm »

You can assign dwarves to vermin catching if you don't want to have cats.  Then can tame and sell the vermin for more profit.

And if you get really lucky, you can catch the elusive moghopper and make mog juice.  Yummy!

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 11:22:50 pm »

I believe there are some exotic creatures you can replace cats with that won't adopt dwarves. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe most birds of prey will catch vermin.

You can't embark with these, however, but since the OP wants to avoid using cats I thought I would chime in with this info since these sorts of creatures do show up with the Elves sometimes or in dwarven cage traps.

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 11:24:41 pm »

I believe there are some exotic creatures you can replace cats with that won't adopt dwarves. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe most birds of prey will catch vermin.

You can't embark with these, however, but since the OP wants to avoid using cats I thought I would chime in with this info since these sorts of creatures do show up with the Elves sometimes or in dwarven cage traps.

I think the only one is the peregrine falcon, but I may be wrong, probably am.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 01:07:05 am »

I always take pigs and chickens (they can be moved underground right away), cats and dogs, and sheep if I can.  They have to have some grass to eat but not as much space or pasture as other animals and once you find the caverns (and plant life starts to grow in your upper dirt chambers) you can move them into the safety of your Fortress.  Also, in a pinch, goats seem to work just as well. 
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 05:33:04 am »

I always take pigs and chickens (they can be moved underground right away), cats and dogs, and sheep if I can.  They have to have some grass to eat but not as much space or pasture as other animals and once you find the caverns (and plant life starts to grow in your upper dirt chambers) you can move them into the safety of your Fortress.  Also, in a pinch, goats seem to work just as well.
One sow = one sheep = three nanny goats and one billy goat. Ish. Along with many bones, I've taken a preference to them.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2014, 08:14:42 am »

I think the only one is the peregrine falcon, but I may be wrong, probably am.

I don't know about any other birds, but I know the peregrine falcon does catch vermin.
I'd assume some other birds could do it too, but don't take my word for it.
Regards,
Dampe

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2014, 09:26:54 am »

Has the bug gone away where fortress-born creatures including livestock were always super scrawny?  I was away for about a year and I may have missed news of a solution?  Because of that bug, I've never done any breeding of animals for meat.  Although I could see breeding them for wool, milk/cheese, or leather.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2014, 09:49:38 am »

It is still present in vanilla but there is a DFHack tweak that fixes it.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."
Pages: 1 [2]