Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Entire Wheel of Time Series(all 14 books) for $40  (Read 1468 times)

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Entire Wheel of Time Series(all 14 books) for $40
« on: April 28, 2014, 09:11:20 pm »

The Wheel of Time series was nominated for a Hugo award. This is the top SF&F book award. The award is given out by Worldcon. If you buy a supporting membership you get the right to vote for the Hugos. This comes with a voter packet.

The packet includes all of the books and stories that are nominated. Since the entire Wheel of Time series is nominated you get all 14 books plus the other 4 books nominated, along with 5 novellas and 5 short stories. I think you get stuff for the other nominations as well. I have never registered before. I registered this time. I've been a Wheel of Time fan for over 20 years. I have not read the other nominated works, however, I have read 3 other Zombie books by Mira Grant and they are very good. The books come in ebook format. I believe the WoT publisher TOR is releasing them in any ebook format. The quality of the other works are dependent on the publisher.

The convention is in London. This price does not let you attend the convention ( I live in the US so I'm not going), but you get a great deal of books, stories, and the right to vote. To just get the packet and the right to vote you just need the $40 supporting membership.

http://www.loncon3.org/memberships/membership1.php

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Entire Wheel of Time Series(all 14 books) for $40
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 09:32:30 pm »

I wish I'd had this offer years ago when I was shelling out $10 bucks a book on like four of them at a time.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 09:25:33 pm »

There are 18 books in the package. Mira grant is very good too.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 11:06:42 pm »

This is a pretty cool thing, and like Zrk I'd be interested if I hadn't already shelled out for hard copies a long while ago. It's a shame they're only e-books, though, especially considering that the bindings of my WoT paperbacks have actually held together. I guess they used a better quality of glue than usual. :|

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 03:34:49 pm »

O_O

MUST. TELL. FATHER.

UNO MOMENTOOOOOOOOOOO
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 04:05:10 pm »

Are there more of these? I thought the author died.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 04:08:32 pm »

He left extensive notes as to how he wanted the series to end, he had already written the ending scene itself, and his wife -- who was also the chief editor on the series itself and has worked in the industry extensively -- took a chance on an up and coming author who was also a really big fan of the series itself to give it the ending it deserved.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 04:46:32 pm »

Apparently there was a planned prequel trilogy as well (the first of which has already been written), and it'll be up to the widow whether or not Sanderson ends up writing the other two books in that as well.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 04:54:26 pm »

He left extensive notes as to how he wanted the series to end, he had already written the ending scene itself, and his wife -- who was also the chief editor on the series itself and has worked in the industry extensively -- took a chance on an up and coming author who was also a really big fan of the series itself to give it the ending it deserved.
For what it's worth I have a healthy dislike for Sanderson's work, but I think that he did a damned fined job with the last book last three books of the WoT. I'm not sure if he was actively trying to distance them from his own style, or if it's because it was an extant work and thus free from his rather cookie-cutter worldbuilding, but he ended up filling in very nicely.

3. Run Resize Enable

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 06:05:45 pm »

For what it's worth I have a healthy dislike for Sanderson's work, but I think that he did a damned fined job with the last book last three books of the WoT. I'm not sure if he was actively trying to distance them from his own style, or if it's because it was an extant work and thus free from his rather cookie-cutter worldbuilding, but he ended up filling in very nicely.
From interviews I read, he was trying his very best to write in as similar a style to Jordan as he could without becoming a parody. I can't comment on it personally because I've never had a solid block of time where I wanted to pick it up and actually read it. It's a heavy investment. This might be a good opportunity to get it though . . .
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 06:38:27 pm »

From interviews I read, he was trying his very best to write in as similar a style to Jordan as he could without becoming a parody. I can't comment on it personally because I've never had a solid block of time where I wanted to pick it up and actually read it. It's a heavy investment. This might be a good opportunity to get it though . . .
That sounds like it's in line with the vibe I was getting. I suppose it's good to know that he's not a bad writer, just one with habits which annoy me.

It depends on whether you can tolerate e-books. If you can, this is great--you get the whole series for ~$72US less than you'd pay buying the paperbacks, plus all of the other things that were nominated.

3. Run Resize Enable

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 02:44:05 pm »

got my hugo packet... its a good deal for $40 even though somewhat dissapointed.

The 3 books nominated published by Orbit are not in the packet. They gave a sample of the first 150 pages. The 3 authors released a press saying its not their call. Its not. Orbit is a Brittish press and Worldcon is in England. They didn't want to give away 10,000 free copies in a market the size of england.

I planned to read the other books eventually anyway...

However, all of the wheel of time is there in 1 .epub. I am running it on ibooks on my ipad. All of the material runs in any e-reader or PC
Larry Correia's 3rd book of his series is up for nomination, and Baen included all 3 books. Have not read his books, but I know people who rave about his monster hunter books.

So that by itself is 17 books for $40.

other points...
-- some novellas and short stories are in .pdf which are hard to read
-- some of the content from the graphical nominees is light. However, several issues of the Meathour Man by George RR Martin are there.
-- best editor stuff does not always give enough for me to vote on best editor. The long form (editor of whole novels). Are a couple of pages. Editor goes thank you and lists his books. Ok. I can't really tell by reading a book if the editor had alot to do with it
-- short form editor: Some of them come from SF magazines like Clarkesworld. Includes sample issues with many stories

Its still a good deal for $40.