Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Filling Ponds  (Read 2026 times)

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Filling Ponds
« on: June 09, 2014, 10:34:04 pm »

Hey, I've never tried making a pond in any fort before, and just started a new fort and figured it would be nice to have an indoor water source before breaching the caverns. I dug out the area, channeled from the area above, designated the zone, and my dwarves began to fill it. However, the water is evaporating faster than my dwarves can fill it. Does anyone have tips on how to do this? I know there's always the possibility of flooding down to the place, but that just seems like such a hassle. Thanks in advance.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
Re: Filling Ponds
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 10:38:50 pm »

Designate multiple 1 tile ponds along the edges. You will need more buckets but it will also generate multiple fill pond jobs.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 10:45:26 pm »

Designate multiple 1 tile ponds along the edges. You will need more buckets but it will also generate multiple fill pond jobs.
I tried splitting it into 2 ponds, but I really didn't want to use more wood. I decided to just flood it, and it's more or less working. But I'll use that in the future.

And I was stupid when flooding it. I now had to fill an even larger area, so I just savescummed and will try the multiple single tile method.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 10:47:51 pm by deepfreeze78 »
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 10:55:49 pm »

Another option is to build a series of constructions and fill the pond a bit at a time by deconstructing them. It would be a lot of work but you only need 2/7 or 3/7 to stop evaporation.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 11:32:36 pm »

Just remember to put the pond zone over the pond, and not on the ground next to it like you would for a garbage dump point over a cliff.  That tripped me up when I designated a 10 long pond zone then had nobody bother filling it because the zone was on the ground next to the hole, not over the hole where a dwarf could stand immediately adjacent and pour into the zone.

(pardon me if that is confusing, i probably shouldn't post when this tired.  :o )
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 12:10:16 am »

Designate multiple pond zones, as many as you like, over the same pond (you can stack them), only one dwarf will carry a bucket per pond zone, so if you want to have multiple dwarves fill a pond at once the only way is multiple pond zones.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.