Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fantasy Grounds- Pen and Paper over Steam?  (Read 3430 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Fantasy Grounds- Pen and Paper over Steam?
« on: June 03, 2014, 11:57:20 am »

So in my occasional steam search I found this game/application, it seems to be a way to play D&D and other pen and paper games over the interwebs, and presumably has built in rulebooks and such, along with maps, creature lists and all the assorted stuff you need to set up a game.

So has anyone here used this? Is it worth getting? Are there games going on right now that I could be a part of if I bought this?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy Grounds- Pen and Paper over Steam?
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 12:54:54 pm »

A friend of mine ran a campaign 4-5 years ago on this.  We had all played P&P in high school but never had time to get together anymore, so we had been researching an online way to do so.  At the time, this was the best 'online tabletop' offering we could find, and I am really surprised that a larger company has not stepped in with a slicker offering.

I haven't used FG since, but mainly because we petered out on P&P interest.  FG got the job done, we successfully ran a 2 year campaign over it with 4 people.  However, my overall recollection was that it was very clumsy to use.  We had constant issues with connections and update incompatibilities.  There was a lot of fidgety stuff that is impossible to describe now.  It was also quite slow and frequently lagged or even booted people.  I would hope that most of these issues would be fixed by now, but I recall in the two years that we played it, that updates were slow in coming and often made things worse as often as better.  Admittedly, a big part of the problem was that our DM often modified things 'under the hood' in FG, and that led to many of these compatibility issues.  FG is /very/ moddable, if you know what you are doing.  And irritations aside: we managed a campaign on it.  Face to face P&P is not without it's own host of headaches, after all.  I just felt that there was a lot of room for improvement in FantasyGrounds even if it was serviceable.

I seem to recall they offer (or used to) a demo version - highly recommend you try that first with a short campaign.  Check their forums for open campaigns that you can join.  This many years later, it is hopefully more polished than I remember!

Good luck!

ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 01:05:42 pm »

Also check out roll20.net - I've used it, and it's rather smooth and intuitive for the most part.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 07:18:21 pm »

Wow, I thought this was a new thing XD

Oops. Still good to hear its at least decent, and I'll probably check out that demo, as I did see it, but wanted to know if any Bay12ers used it beforehand.

Indeed, I do this.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 07:26:43 pm »

I've never been much into Pen and Paper, although a few of my friends have mentioned these before and enjoyed them. However, I remember them saying they both had a lot of quirks/setting up which you needed to get sorted out and did take a while.

Just throwing that out there in case anyone is thinking about using it, so that they don't just jump at it 5 minutes before the start of an organized game.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 09:06:10 pm »

Also check out roll20.net - I've used it, and it's rather smooth and intuitive for the most part.
This. VASTLY prefer this over every other computer P&P system I've ever tried. Free too and has built in options for voice/videochat.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 12:47:54 am »

Honestly I've had an argument over whether Fantasy Grounds or Roll20 (with a prescription) was better...

And the conclusion I basically came up with is that...

Fantasy Grounds can lead to much smoother gameplay, prettier campaigns, and can overall out perform Roll20... But that you need to be good at creating your own content to do so if you do not want to stick to modules constantly, as well as taking a long time. As well Fantasy Grounds for its price lacks important features that would have made it good. It has a bit of a learning curve to play, but honestly I don't hold it against it, needing to look up how to attack is worth the game telling you outright if it hit and doing the damage on the fly.
-Honestly Fantasy Grounds was a rather large disappointment to me (as soon as I saw it, it went right onto my wishlist)... because it lacked things like a map creator. also yes I know it has a map creator but not a "functional" one. It was worth a 5 dollar price, maybe 10 (but that is stretching it)... but for something I, and all my players, have to pay for... the Price NEEDED to reflect the content and tools it provided you.

While Roll20 with a little practice, a lot less then Fantasy Grounds, you can make good campaigns expediently. It is also much cheaper then Fantasy Grounds (5 bucks a month versus Fantasy Grounds per player... yes even players have to pay). It also features a lobby and forums.

My honest opinion is... honestly... Use Roll20.

Until there is a paid for program that outperforms it. Roll20 might be the queen of pen and paper programs.

---

Also interesting trivia. Fantasy grounds on steam is actually Fantasy Grounds 2.

It was likely in development before Roll20.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 12:55:11 am by Neonivek »

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 10:37:04 am »

Agreed with Neonivek. Fantasy Grounds is a good program that can produce some amazing results from a really dedicated GM. Is it $30 good? I'd say no; it's closer to $5-$10 good.

For the average P&P player/GM roll20 is going to be easier to setup, easier to use, and quicker to get a decent campaign going. For an ultra-hardcore group where the campaigns are planned to perfection and no expense is spared, Fantasy Grounds is a decent contender (although even my friends who treat P&P as a second job have switched to roll20 due to some connection issues with FG).
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Oscuro1987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 01:33:13 pm »

And what do you guys think about "MapTool"?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 05:06:48 pm »

And what do you guys think about "MapTool"?

I think its a tool.

That does maps.

Indeed, I do this.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 05:22:48 pm »

I prefer maptool, or IRC for games that don't absolutely need a map.

I've played a game with fantasy grounds and while it's very pretty and fun, it's also expensive and judging from what I've seen on steam it's getting the railroad sim syndrome.  Seems like there's always piles of new DLC for it, modules and rulebooks and stuff, and I wonder how much is actually usable with just the base game.  A lot of games don't have open source rulesets and I'm a little too used to buccaneering when it comes to these things to deal with Fantasy Grounds.
Shoes...