Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Haven't played in 3 years; what do I need to know?  (Read 3886 times)

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
Re: Haven't played in 3 years; what do I need to know?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2014, 06:03:25 pm »

As vampire neither eat nor drink they receive fewer positive thoughts in regards to such things and they can go insane. IIRC they are also affected by lowered work speed if they don't drink alcohol and since they can't ... it just gets worse.

LNP can disable aquifers and does have it set to do so by default. I messed around with this a couple of days ago and have determined that a world genned with no aquifers will not get any if you turn aquifers back on. I am not clear on exactly how or if genning a world with aquifers on then turning them affects things. I dug out an entire Z level of a map in the range DFhack said the aquifer was present and received no damp stone warnings and caused no floods so either I picked the wrong Z level or the world only exists in the abstract until it is visited/revealed and the LNP has until you actual embark or reveal tiles to suppress aquifers. The former is more likely and I am not sure that the latter is actually possible.

The embark doesn't straight up tell you about sand instead clay. You can also use DFhack's prospect to get an idea of the surface composition of the embark area, or prospect all to get an idea of both the availability and prevalence of anything you can mine. Once you have actually embarked prospect all will give you a more exact figure and also list trees and vegetation.

Minecart QSPs only require a track stop, a minecart, a hauling route and stop, a feeder stockpile and the QSP stockpile. I am assuming the set up puke was talking about is one track stop and one track, but if it is two track instead it could be a less fiddly method.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2014, 09:24:32 pm »

Well first you need to know that the first new version in 2+ years is due out in early July. I'd wait for that before dropping back in. I guarantee that old saves won't be compatible with the new builds, there are just too many changes.

So much cool stuff now including dynamic worldgen that updates while you play, rather than a static world that just decays from it's worldgen status. That's just the tip of the iceberg. The game's going to be a whole new world now.

So, jump into the 2014 version when it releases and stay active on the forums. Everyone's going to go back to learning mode.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 09:26:51 pm by Reelya »

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 06:38:21 am »

You can kinda fix the alchohol problem with a small tweak in the raws. If you like, open up creature_standard.txt and find [BLOOD:CREATURE_MAT:DWARF:BLOOD:LIQUID]. Directly under that, you want to add this chunk:

Code: [Select]
[SYNDROME]
          [SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
          [SYN_INGESTED]
          [CE_REMOVE_TAG:NO_DRINK:START:0]

What this should do is remove the "no_drink" tag from vampires after they feed on their first victim. From then on, they will satisfy their thirst for alchohol, but will still drink blood and kill people. It's not perfect, but it's the only way (I know of) to stop them slowing down from withdrawal.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 07:55:31 am »

Well first you need to know that the first new version in 2+ years is due out in early July. I'd wait for that before dropping back in. I guarantee that old saves won't be compatible with the new builds, there are just too many changes.

Rather than waiting a month, I'd just play with the current version for a month, then abandon the world when the new version comes out.

I think it would be really helpful to learn all the DF2012 changes first, rather than jumping straight into DF2014 and being hit by 4 years of changes all at once.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 11:07:48 am »

You can kinda fix the alchohol problem with a small tweak in the raws. If you like, open up creature_standard.txt and find [BLOOD:CREATURE_MAT:DWARF:BLOOD:LIQUID]. Directly under that, you want to add this chunk:

[SYNDROME]
          [SYN_INGESTED]

What this should do is remove the "no_drink" tag from vampires after they feed on their first victim. From then on, they will satisfy their thirst for alchohol, but will still drink blood and kill people. It's not perfect, but it's the only way (I know of) to stop them slowing down from withdrawal.

What if you made dwarf blood alcoholic?
Or straight up replaced it with booze?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2014, 10:10:05 pm »

[SYNDROME]
          [SYN_INGESTED]

What if you made dwarf blood alcoholic?
Or straight up replaced it with booze?

That would make them asplode if anything burned them.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 10:39:16 pm »

More fun, the way I see it.

Hell, I'm going to do that, play a dorf, and stand in a burning bush.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 05:25:38 pm »

Hey, I haven't played in 3 years either! *high five?*
I was surprised I remembered most of the key combinations for workshops and designations and stuff.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 09:50:24 am »

Hey, I haven't played in 3 years either! *high five?*
I was surprised I remembered most of the key combinations for workshops and designations and stuff.

When I returned from a two-three year hiatus, I had the same thing. Muscle memory is wonderful, isn't it? XD
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 01:27:08 pm »

Good gods, I just realized this entire thread is made trivial by the update. In a month or so, ****ALL*** of us will be somewhat new to it again...
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2014, 01:47:23 pm »

Yeah, we'll all need to buy one of these in order to continue playing the game:  http://www.3dconnexion.com/products/spacepilot-pro.html

Not because it's going to a 3d interface or anything; but just because the menus will require another axis or two of navigation.

Hell, probably wouldn't hurt to have one now.  +-/* umkh wasdx AND cursor keys... sheesh.  DF, the only ascii game where you need to dual-wield 3d controllers to navigate the menus.
Pages: 1 [2]