Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any Star Trek strategy game/4x game that is not Star Trek: Birth of the Federati  (Read 5083 times)

Spacefaye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any Star Trek strategy game/4x game that is not Star Trek: Birth of the Federation?

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

there is it a sins of the solar empire mod called "Star Trek Armada 3"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8W-1atFQOA
(totalbiscuit taking a look at it)

no idea if it is still worked on or in what state it is by now.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Star Empires... IV? Or V. One of the two. Maybe both, I'unno. Have a star trek mod as well, for what that's worth.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't think there are any good ones other than Star Trek Armada 3 - it's currently in development so there's a lot that needs doing (mostly graphics/text/balance) however when I had a go it was very good - playing against the borg is always fun.

Other than that you'll be stuck with mostly half finished mods. There were some good ones for Galactic Civilizations 2, but I'm unsure where they are.
That said, with GalCiv2 you can easily customize your race quite a lot and there are a lot of ship packs available, so you could easily create a Federation/Klingon/Tribble/whatever empire by adjusting the ships, portraits, strengths/skills and then just go against the main races (Zeta Quadrant? alternate universe? time travel? dimensional displacement?), or even make all the opposing races yourself.

Granted, it wouldn't be particularly close, but if you're wanting just the flavor then that'd be as close as you'll probably get, and galciv2 is awesome.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

WinTrek.
http://www.joejaworski.com/wintrek/

It's not quite what you'd call a strategy game, and it's definitely not a 4x, but at the very least you might get a few good minutes out of it.
Nothing important here, move along.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you're looking for something that's not a strat/4x game then ARTEMIS Bridge Simulator is awesome, you need 3 people to play (two absolute minimum) but it's great fun and while not 'officially' Star Trek, it's so close it doesn't really matter.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile

Not a 4X but i remember Starfleet Command was a really good Star Trek game, as it was rather close to what the actual Starfleet Battle famous old boardgame in term of how battle worked, i liked this one.

I have not played the sequels SFC2 or the latter SFC3 , but i remember reading people claiming the best of the serie was the SFC2 standalone expansion : Orion Pirate , and that SFC3 while visually more nice was a huge letdown .

Another one that was very good , but still no 4X was Bridge Commander, it was putting you on the deck of a starship and you were ordering your crew around.
It was a nice pseudo-sim of a starship commander from the series/movies, but battles were less tactical and strategic than the SFC serie but for the immersion they were closer to the movie/serie actually.

A bit like a single player version of the Artemis sim that Retropunch is mentionning
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 12:55:55 pm by Robsoie »

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I read "Birth of the Foederati" and was all excited cuz I thought there was a Roman Empire/Star Trek crossover mod.  >:(

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

The old Flash Trek Broken Mirror series was something of a blend of 4X and top-down shooter; you had your personal ship that you customized and flew around the galaxy in, but you could also use your credits to buy AI-controlled ships, and could also gain control of star systems and fortify + upgrade them with a wide range of space stations and defense platforms (assuming you had the proper blueprints--including the secret Dyson-fucking-Sphere), as well as doing things like trading/communicating with random ships and sending down away teams. It was a pretty heavily involved game for a flash browser game; the combat was solid, there was a large galaxy with a lot of secrets and easter eggs, and the trading/upgrade/empire management aspect was fairly deep. There was also a massive number of ships available, and both they and the stations and systems were drawn directly from Star Trek.

I can't speak for the later ones (the last I played was 2), but they're also available for download from the creator (via that link). Keep in mind that the Broken Mirror setting is somewhat different from canon--it's the Earth Empire from that one evil counterpart episode &c.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable