Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New things to do  (Read 624 times)

Opaex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New things to do
« on: May 31, 2014, 09:00:44 pm »

Ive been playing for a while but im still pretty new. Im kind bored with my fortress designs.. what are some ideas for newer better forts? also what does everybody else do when they get bored with a part of it?

HooliganintheFort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New things to do
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 09:05:27 pm »

Edit:

Pump in magma into the center of your fort. 7z levels down. Throw lucky visitors into the pool to meet their deities.

Eh. I would unleash the clowns from their circus or start a loyalty cascade. But if one dwarf still lives, I would just put them into the milita clad in steel and watch him take on hoards of goblins, FBs or clowns.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 09:25:52 pm by HooliganintheFort »

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 09:17:36 pm »

Try and work out how to minecart. You can do awesome things with those. Furnaceclans is a good example of just how cool minecarts can make your life. Even if you don't build computers out of them, they're still really neat. Doing machinery things is always fun. Drowning chambers, danger rooms for invading goblins so you can kill FBs with them, magma pump stacks. Try doing a weird industry like beekeeping or soap making. Use fertilizer on all your farms. Make a huge castle on the surface. Find a way to make the above ground world burn. Try and capture a bunch of cool cavern creatures. Make a silk farm. Try and make everything out of green glass, because it just looks nice. Institute the justice system for fun and profit. Create a functional military equipped in steel and determination. Get a waterfall for your dining room working. Get a magma fall for your entrance working.

^^When I get bored with a fort, those are the kind of projects I start. As far as fort designs go, try making them in pretty fractal patterns. They make everything that little bit more magical.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 04:21:09 am »

:D  I vote for a trip to the circus. Nothing like some cotton candy and clowns to liven things up.

tussock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 06:38:48 am »

They aren't kidding when they say losing is fun. Things going well is easy enough, so try something you think would obviously fail (all wrestlers, nudist resort, no planting, no trading, automated magma flooding, no doors, no levers), and then try to make it work despite the fun. Eventually that'll be easy too, and you can figure out new things that would obviously not work. Only stone, so no beds or armour, and no weapons until obsidian shortswords (if you cheat a bit with the wooden handle).

Or, you know, just start your next fort in more Evil and Savage and Desert Seaside type place with multiple salty aquifers and no metals, for more free-form fun. But the current fort? Yeh, get some candy and go see the circus.