Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I stop dwarves from eating from my jail stockpiles?  (Read 2121 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I stop dwarves from eating from my jail stockpiles?
« on: June 10, 2014, 11:42:28 pm »

So I have a jail with stockpiles in it, and even though I put the highest traffic restriction on the jail dwarves keep going to it for food and drink. Any way to fix this?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: How do I stop dwarves from eating from my jail stockpiles?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 11:44:49 pm »

Burrows would probably help. Although I really dislike burrows, this is what they're meant for. Trying to make a meeting hall or something nearer the main food stockpile would probably also help.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 11:46:41 pm »

I don't have much experience with jails. I would suggest using some combination of chains, locked doors and forbidding the food in the stockpile.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 01:07:34 am »

Well my meeting hall is my dining room and it's right next to it's own foodpile, so that's not helping. But I like the forbidding food idea. Now I'll just have to remember to unforbid it when the prisoners get there.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 01:42:05 am »

I tried all sorts of things ranging from clever mechanical monstrosities to excessive micromanagement trying to solve this very issue.  Eventually I just said to HFS with it. I setup a secondary dining hall (with the option to seal it in a pinch) and stuck a row of chains between its food and booze stockpile.   Basically its just a 1 by10 or so food stockpile, a row of chains, and a similarly sized booze stockpile on the other side of the chains.  the stockpiles fill form the main stockpile so each chain has 3 food and 3 booze within reach.

As elegant as that solution is its mostly redundant.  There are only a couple ways that a dwarf can get in trouble with the law and they are for the most part preventable.  I keep my dwarves deliriously happy so they are unlikely to tantrum and get jaild for disorderly conduct.   If proper vampire and noble management pratices are implemented the other sources of the justice system triggering are also non issues.  Make sure vampires are not in a position to suck a dwarf dry and blame it on another and ensure any noble that makes obnoxious mandates has a very nice crypt to spend eternity in, and lock him in there.  Follow these simple rules and you dont even need jails.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 01:47:08 am »

Acquiring food works the other way 'round: the moment a dwarf gets hungry, they search for the nearest food item (potentially casting about some more to try to find a food they prefer) and go get that. Only once that's done will they start looking for a place where they can eat. Which food your dwarfs take depends on what's closest to the place _where they get hungry_, not where they're likely to eat their meal. Dwarfs typically become hungry around the main workshops and big stockpiles, not the meeting hall (unless you have 50%+ idlers usually). I suspect that dwarfs also ignore distance in z-level when looking for food; so ideally, you'd want your jail and its food stockpiles (and other stockpiles you don't want raided by hungry beards all the time) in a place that's a good way away from the rest of the fort by the x/y coordinates. That or just keep it mostly locked/forbidden.

PS - although simply putting the justice chains into the middle of a major common food stockpile works as well.

PPS - and not assigning a sheriff/captain of the guard works even better. Some nobles may get slightly miffed because ...Justice isn't inflicted on criminals randomly picked victims, but they can be kept happy easily enough and the rest of the fort population won't mind (those singled out for punishment even get happy thoughts when their scheduled face smashings/death by dehydration is postponed).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 01:52:50 am by Larix »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 07:01:46 am »

even though I put the highest traffic restriction on the jail dwarves keep going to it for food and drink.

Traffic restrictions have no effect on which items are selected to perform a job (and eating counts as a job).  Traffic restrictions only affect the path the dwarf will choose to get to the item.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 10:38:01 am »

The biggest problem with jailed prisoners is their being starved or dehydrated to death because the job scheduling for feeding and watering prisoners is frankly buggy. So having a food and/or drink stockpile within range of prisoners does tend to keep 'em alive. As for other beards having a snack using those stockpiles, I don't worry about it. The reason is that I have the prison stockpiles linked to 't'ake from the primary food stockpiles in the fortress. The job to transfer a barrel from the primary stockpile to the prison stockpile seems to have a fairly high priority and any food taken from the prison stockpile gets rapidly replaced with something fresher from the main fortress stockpile. Additionally, I have every prison chain within reach of a well so if worse comes to worse, the prisoners can always drink. Here's my prison cell layout.

Code: [Select]
#######     # = Wall
#BFDFB#     B = Bed
#FcDcF#     c = Chain
#CTWTC#     C = Chair
#FcDcF#     T = Table
#BFDFB#     W = Well
###.###     F = Prepared meal stockpile
            D = Drink stockpile
Every prisoner has shared access to a table and chair in which to eat meals in a "proper" environment preventing bad thoughts in that direction.
Additionally, each prisoner has exclusive access to 2 meal stockpile tiles so they don't starve to death. They also have shared access to 2 drink stockpile tiles so they usually get to drink booze instead of water. But if worse comes to worse, they have access to the well so they don't dehydrate. Finally they have exclusive access to a bed that's out of reach of the other 3 potential prisoners in the room so if one of the other 3 happen to be a vampire, they don't get drained while sleeping due to being a cellmate with a vampire. Very rarely will a prisoner go hungry or thirsty with this arrangement since the food and drink stockpiles 't'ake from the main stockpiles in the fortress and as mentioned earlier that job seems to have a fairly high priority. I will admit that non-prisoner beards do stop by from time to time in order to have a meal or drink, but that just simply causes the stock to be replenished.