Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Looking for (THE) single player RPG.. (tough one, here..)  (Read 11415 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for (THE) single player RPG.. (tough one, here..)
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2014, 06:07:16 pm »

Agarest?  I think I tried an hour demo of that.  The sorta tarot-card-style class picking thing seemed kinda neat, but it seemed kinda derpy, atmosphere(?)-wise.  Really bland shounen throwaway-flavor.

I've heard good things about Etrian Odyssey, also.  Haven't tried personally, but as I understand it's tough and unforgiving.

My only real problem with Agarest was that it was too damn grindy. I could deal with the silly otaku-y shit for the chance to play an RPG with eugenics, but DAT GRIND O.o I couldn't get past the second generation, even with the super cheaty DLC packs :(
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2014, 09:11:41 pm »

Agh, I overall love super-grindy, as long as it continues healthily into end-game.. Now I've gotta check it out in depth and risk being embarrassed by playing it, haha ;) I'LL CLOSE THE CURTAINS! I didn't really like the first couple Phantasy Stars, but whichever later one on Sega that had the animated team-mates popping into the screen for attacks was awesome (I remember a centaur the most..)..

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2014, 10:15:19 pm »

Hmm... SSI Goldbox RPGs are good too. They're really quite old, but they're good DnD dungeon crawlers. Also look at "Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession" and "Ravenloft: Stone Prophet".

You can't really mention SSI Goldbox without also mentioning Menzoberranzan.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2014, 03:32:49 am »

Going back to Ultima 7 now that I know you havent played it yet...

It is a revolutionary game. Origin really put a lot of effort into making a long and engaging story, and backing that up with plenty of lore drawing on an already long-running series filled with memorable locations and characters. But what is particularly amazing about this game is actually the technological achievement. You might think that as something produced in 1992 it is only relatively impressive and can't hold a candle to what we have today. Actually though, the way the U7 world is constructed is in certain respects superior to anything made ever since.

What am I talking about? It's the seamless living world. Outdoors, indoors and "underground" (inside mountains") is all one giant ass 2d plane, with upstairs layered on top for two story buildings. Within this world you have nine or ten cities/villages/settlements with unique NPCs living in them. Each of these NPCs is always in the world doing things according to a schedule. So, farming, cooking, eating, sleeping, etc. Go to a pub at a certain time of day in Britain, and various characters will actually be there eating while the serving people are serving them. Wait a bit longer, and they all head back home for a while before going to sleep.

A lot of this was implemented in Ultima 6, but they really perfected it in 7. Inventory management is also much easier and comfortable from a modern perspective, as the mouse is finally given free reign and takes over from the keyboard. If you use the exult mod, the resolution gets a nice boost so you can fit it to a modern monitor also.

http://exult.sourceforge.net/
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 03:34:25 am by Yolan »
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2014, 07:11:44 am »

Hmm... SSI Goldbox RPGs are good too. They're really quite old, but they're good DnD dungeon crawlers. Also look at "Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession" and "Ravenloft: Stone Prophet".

You can't really mention SSI Goldbox without also mentioning Menzoberranzan.

Good point.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2014, 12:57:03 pm »

not too sure if i should suggest it as it is 18+, but i will as it is a really good turn based tactic game "kind of" like final fantasy tactics:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 2 [3]