Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do vamps drink if they'll definitely be witnessed?  (Read 1430 times)

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do vamps drink if they'll definitely be witnessed?
« on: May 30, 2014, 09:50:26 pm »

I never give bedrooms doors, all the bedrooms I build are sort-of communal (imagine a cubical farm of beds, each dwarf has their own space, but no privacy), since I also don't assign a dining room (to avoid parties) dwarves often hang out in the corridor next to their bed cubicle, hence a vampire will never find any privacy to drink. I've yet to discover a vampire in one of my forts. Is this bad luck or good strategy?
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
Re: Do vamps drink if they'll definitely be witnessed?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 10:03:49 pm »

Vampires do get noticed from time to time, and the do need to drink blood but one of the things that is supposed to help is putting your dwarves in a dormitory rather than there own rooms so what you have done probably helps.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 12:48:48 am »

I had a vampire drain a Legendary Speardwarf in the barracks in full view of 3 witnesses, all also fully-armed Legendary military dwarves. Surprisingly they just reported the crime instead of killing him on the spot.

Perhaps if they get hungry enough they'll take the risk.
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 03:19:38 am »

I had a vampire drain a Legendary Speardwarf in the barracks in full view of 3 witnesses, all also fully-armed Legendary military dwarves. Surprisingly they just reported the crime instead of killing him on the spot.

That's extremely unsurprising, because a vampire (or any other murderer) does not lose loyalties by the act, so attacking them is not an option (and if it were, it'd probably trigger a loyalty cascade).

Perhaps if they get hungry enough they'll take the risk.

Vampires don't get hungry or thirsty and suffer no known penalties from any length of blood withdrawal (in fort mode).

I'm very much in disfavour of vampires running wild, so can't say whether and how observation repels them; they do seem to target a currently-sleeping dwarf anywhere in the fort (possibly checking at that time if the dwarf is unobserved) and then make their way towards the victim, come hell or high water or military orders. Only solid obstacles like a timely locked door can keep a vampire at bay.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 05:06:28 am »

Vampires don't take any serious considerations on to drink or not to drink.
The act of sucking is just like any other job albeit labelled with differently coloured version of "on break".
As such, it obeys burrows unless the vamp is soldier.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 12:54:14 pm »

Vampires don't take any serious considerations on to drink or not to drink.
The act of sucking is just like any other job albeit labelled with differently coloured version of "on break".
As such, it obeys burrows unless the vamp is soldier.

A non-military vampire obeys burrows? Mine didn't but she is a soldier.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 02:56:21 pm »

Vampires don't get hungry or thirsty and suffer no known penalties from any length of blood withdrawal (in fort mode).

Unless theres a DFhack patch that fixes it a vamp that goes too long without blood starts geting alcohol withdrawal symptoms like any other dwarf.  feeding seems to reset their withdrawl bringing them back up to full speed.  It wont kill them but I'd call it a penalty.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 03:26:08 pm »

Unless theres a DFhack patch that fixes it a vamp that goes too long without blood starts geting alcohol withdrawal symptoms like any other dwarf.  feeding seems to reset their withdrawl bringing them back up to full speed.  It wont kill them but I'd call it a penalty.
No, it doesn't. Vampires are doomed to be sober no matter what.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 03:32:32 pm »

How do they not get drunk from dirnking dwarf blood?

BenLubar

• Bay Watcher
  • [BODY:HUMANOID_LEGLESS_6ARMS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 09:10:44 pm »

The alcohol blood level is too low.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 08:24:55 am »

The alcohol blood level is too low.
Yeah, but dwarf blood is like 25% alcohol.

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 05:26:58 pm »

True, but dwarves need more quantities of/far stronger alcohol to maintain their eternal drunkenness. Dwarf blood, while potentially a potent alcoholic beverage to a human vampire, would likely only give a dwarf vampire the slightest buzz, if anything.
This space for rent

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 06:51:54 pm »

Well I finally got a vampire, I was so happy when a corpse drained of blood was discovered (and in one of the most visible bed cubicles too!).

The second time it happened I caught the culprit in the act, I was like 'Hang on, has my legendary hammerdwarf got injured, and is the pump operator treating him', nope, my Hammerlord was supping some blood :D. I was so happy, and I felt the pump operator was so lucky, what a noble way to die.

I have to admit I was surprised when my new hammerdwarf who replaced my old hammerlord who jumped in a pond to kill frogmen (Fortress Defense) and was having such fun he forgot to climb out to breath and expired about half a second before a miner slammed his pick through the wall of the pond to drain it - uh where was I, a squad of furies attacked (FD, pretty tough enemy) and a solitary dwarf ran out to meet them, it was my newly recruited proficient hammerdwarf immigrant, after a few seconds he was still alive despite being dogpiled by the whole squad of furies who were tenderizing him with mace blows, so I sent out reinforcements to save him, now I've seen normal dwarves with a mail shirt and helmet survive some pretty severe beatings, and this guy had pretty good steel armor (from his deceased hammerlord predecessor who was #2 military dwarf so got the second best stuff), so I didn't think much of it that there was no death to the furies.

I think it's pretty hard to believe no-one saw him supping two corpses. Here's what I like to imagine, Elikasob the Legendary Hammerlord, crouched down next to his victim, and when anyone saw him supping blood, he looked at them, then he patted his artifact steel war hammer (which menaces with spikes of steel) and then he made a little 'skull smashing gesture', and they quietly moved along. I sentenced him anyway and the captain of the guard gave him a (very brave) beating.

And the best thing? He's a proficient biter.

Now I am scheming to turn my other 3 Weapon Lords into Vampire Lords. My fortress is the kind where everyone gets recruited into the army as marksdwarves, and a few die every siege, so the attrition to the Vampire Lords' thirst will be about the same as to random idiocy.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 08:43:58 pm by Panando »
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.