Have you had this issue?

Yes, and the workaround below fixed it.
- 1 (20%)
Yes, but the workaround didn't work.
- 0 (0%)
No, because I'm awesome.
- 4 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: [All Races?] - Crash on Game Load  (Read 863 times)

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[All Races?] - Crash on Game Load
« on: May 27, 2014, 03:36:11 am »

I know much of this information is scattered around in other threads, but I now can't find any of them, so I thought I'd draw it all together and see how many other people have the same issue, or any further light to shed.

So the situation is that I'm playing a dwarf game with Digging Invaders off in the gui.  Upon loading a game, DF runs for a short while (a couple minutes max), then crashes to desktop.  Restoring an autosave leads to the exact same behavior, but still only about a minute in.

From the other threads, this seems to be happening in Dwarf and Warlock fortresses at least.

I'm using the 4j version uploaded at the end of march, with all the default settings except harder mining.

The suggested workaround, which I've just tested with apparent success, is-
+ Go to DFHack
+ Type "enable" to get a list of all active plugins.  DiggingInvaders should be listed as on, despite being off in the GUI.   Otherwise you have a different bug...
+ Type "diggingInvaders 0" to turn the plugin off
+ Repeat every time you start DF, or possibly even every time you load a game.

There's also, apparently, something you can change in the dfhack.ini file to avoid having to do this each time.  DFHack.ini is a terrifying file full of scary numbers, though, so if someone could post exact instructions I'll be very grateful :)
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
Re: [All Races?] - Crash on Game Load
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 09:58:52 am »

One (dirty) would be to open dfhack.ini and put your command at the end. It is more or less feeding commands as they were typed on the terminal.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
Re: [All Races?] - Crash on Game Load
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 09:17:54 am »

this should be resolved with the next update of the GUI.

however, what Boltgun has suggested is a more permanent solution: replace enable diggingInvaders with disable diggingInvaders in the dfhack.init. then you won't need to toggle it for every new game and save game load.