Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventurer Transfers: Possibility or Pipe Dream?  (Read 1982 times)

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventurer Transfers: Possibility or Pipe Dream?
« on: May 25, 2014, 01:40:59 pm »

There are two types of adventurer, those who die and those who live. Nothing more needs to be said of those who die, but those who live can grow to a point where the only things capable of killing them have long since died by their hand. It seems a waste to just leave such effective killing machines to rot and move on to another world.

I want to take an adventurer from one world and put him in another. Not a new adventurer with the same name, that same adventurer, with or without the equipment.
Is it possible to transfer adventurer data from one file to another? Is it possible to do this now without tools, or would a special script or plugin need to be created?
I play Cataclysm on the side, and it's possible to do just this in that game by copying and pasting the character's file into the new world folder. But could it be that easy? Is the adventurer contained in a file somewhere? Could that file be duplicated and placed elsewhere without issue?
In Cataclysm, transferred characters can retain any item that isn't a procedurally generated artifact, but they appear in a random and potentially very dangerous location with no knowledge of the local area or its inhabitants, much like an outsider in DF. Would that even be possible in DF? what would stop the transferred adventurer from appearing inside a mountain or the lowermost depths of the caverns? What about the art engraved on their equipment? Would there be a problem with faction data, how would the world treat the newcomer?

I don't know if this is possible, but I want it to be. I'd like to continue an adventurer's career in a new world, and I'm willing to put up with any inconveniences that result from it. Can it be done?
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer Transfers: Possibility or Pipe Dream?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 03:23:04 pm »

Can it be done: Yes.
Is it easy: No.

The thing is that save format is closed sourced and changing each version. Also your adventurer is tied into a lot of stuff: history, factions, relations, knowledge, artwork and so on... Recreating all that would be very hard. Also what happens if you other save has slightly different raws?
Oh and it's not easy because you adventurer is packed with other units into one file.
Do i want that: YES!!
Also artifact transfer (probably including general item transfer) and merging two parallel timeline sites
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 03:27:22 pm by Warmist »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 03:31:02 pm »

Hmm... What about creating a creature with the same species, gender, stats, and skills; then putting it in the new world? It would spawn naked, alone, and confused, but for a seasoned adventurer that is no problem.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 04:10:33 pm »

I could make a creature that's the spitting image of an adventurer handily, but I don't want that. I want the actual adventurer from world A plucked up and put down in world B. The transferred adventurer probably would have to be an outsider, maybe with no title or kill list or maybe not. Their nation wouldn't exist in that world. Unless the total kill list was relegated to unnotable kills, the whole record would have to be dropped. Same issue with titles. I can't say anything for sure on kills or titles because so far as I know this has never been done before, this is purely speculation.

What the adventurer is carrying isn't a big concern to me. If I have to drop everything the adventurer owns before leaving the world, that's fine with me, I can make just about anything out of thin air easy. All I care about is the actual character, their physical state, and the skills they have. I'd be perfectly happy starting out buck naked in the middle of the wilderness with nothing more than my good looks and skills, keeping titles gained and the kill list would be a plus but I wouldn't lose sleep over them.

There's a lot to consider about the ramifications of transferring an adventurer, but I'd rather deconstruct that bridge after I cross it, and focus on getting there first. If the adventurer is contained with other units in a single file, would it be possible to identify which part of the file is that adventurer and copy it into the same file in another world folder? Which file are we talking about exactly?
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 09:53:58 pm »

It would probably be easier (and more portable across game versions) to make some sort of script that alters a new adventurer to just be exactly the same as the old one, by having ways to reach in and change kills and all of the stats and missing bodyparts, etc. directly. Also not easy, obviously.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.