Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thailand military coup: Trouble in Hard-drive town  (Read 2333 times)

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
Thailand military coup: Trouble in Hard-drive town
« on: May 22, 2014, 11:57:28 am »

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/23/world/asia/thailand-military-coup.html

Appears to be yet another military coup, this time in Thailand.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Ramaraunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok is Laughing
    • View Profile
Re: Thailand military coup: Trouble in Hard-drive town
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 12:28:00 pm »

Imagine what would happen if there was a coup in the USA.
The moment you realize that there is no iron.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 12:35:22 pm »

How to suicide a market full of investment 101, right here. Too bad all the foreign money has been recent due to a newly-perceived stability and will likely leave in a big way. [Why invest in Thailand when Vietnam, India and Indonesia are relatively stable?]
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 01:03:03 pm »

Imagine what would happen if there was a coup in the USA.

A ding in our credit rating and a couple weeks of people worrying about the postal service.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 01:09:09 pm »

How to suicide a market full of investment 101, right here. Too bad all the foreign money has been recent due to a newly-perceived stability and will likely leave in a big way. [Why invest in Thailand when Vietnam, India and Indonesia are relatively stable?]
I suppose Vietnam is relatively more stable as long as the anti-Chinese sentiment doesn't take the country to hell.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 04:00:18 pm »

There last coup they had was 2006.

Thailand coups are hardly an unheardd of thing.

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 05:48:20 pm »

In fact I believe Thailand tops the list of highest amount of  military coups. So yeah.
Love, scriver~

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 10:18:54 pm »

In fact I believe Thailand tops the list of highest amount of  military coups. So yeah.
Last time around, I recall people getting their pictures with the soldiers.

Looks like they're at it again.

Let's be honest here: "Military Coup" is subjectively terrifying, not objectively. Most people there seem to expect the situation to be resolved by protests and an election, not violence. This isn't a revolution, there doesn't appear to be any appetite for a dictator of any sort, and I'm sure everyone's money will be safe.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 10:32:44 pm »

There's a coup in Thailand about once every 6 2/3 years and an attempted coup about every 4 years. I'm pretty sure that people have just gotten used to it by this point.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 12:13:31 am »

If anything, there NOT being a coup could make investors go "Well shit, if even the military won't attempt to restore order, then something is seriously wrong!" and get out. Especially if there was still the same type of politics and rhetoric there had been recently.

:P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 12:14:50 pm »

Let's be honest here: "Military Coup" is subjectively terrifying, not objectively. Most people there seem to expect the situation to be resolved by protests and an election, not violence. This isn't a revolution, there doesn't appear to be any appetite for a dictator of any sort, and I'm sure everyone's money will be safe.
Well yeah. I mean, would you want to be a dictator in a place that has military coups as often as most countries hold elections? Hells naw.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 12:20:44 pm »

Yeah, coup are hardly unheard of. It's just one more chapter in the long history of the conflicts between the poorer north-east and the Bangkok elite and middle class. And it won't be solved any time soon, as soon as the generals allow elections, the Reds will win and the Yellow will start protesting again...

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 12:25:30 pm »

I was mostly referring to the recent sentiment on Wall Street/London that Thailand was going to be coup-free for a while. That was mostly a big play last year, though, afaik most emerging funds are buying into the Indonesia/Vietnam story in 2014. I assume the exposure was limited; the SET hasn't dropped off a cliff because of the coup, a la Egypt. So thankfully I was wrong about money fleeing. Now, if the situation deteriorates we can see money leaving in a big way.

Maybe Thailand should just schedule coups every 6 years or so, get rid of the ambiguity.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 12:28:28 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2014, 06:20:07 pm »

My understanding of military coups tends to be that it's less reform, more 'We want our guy in power'

...so yeah.
Exactly.

As a Thai person I've gotten apathetic to Thailand politics, and I only care about avoiding the danger that obviously comes from the riots and other bullshit.

To be fair, though, things are slowly getting better. All we need is a few twenty years for Thaksin Shinawatra to up and die.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 06:07:45 am »

Do you really think this mess will end with Thaksin Shinawatra? To me, it's not about him so much as about large parts of the population not feeling represented by the Bangkok-based elite. Even if he was to die tomorrow, and his sister too, someone else will take his place. With luck it'll be someone really wanting to make things better for the poors, with no luck it'll be just someone looking to using them to gain power.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.