Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Senior Prom - A Conundrum Arises!  (Read 2291 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Senior Prom - A Conundrum Arises!
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 06:10:56 am »

I'd strongly advise renting a dress over buying one, because 95% of dresses girls get for proms are terrible so never wear them again.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2014, 07:16:16 am »

That still seems absurdly crazy, to me, for a frickin' school dance.

You can buy some amazing memories in college for that sort of cash, and I'm struggling to find an argument that prom would be the most effective use of it. Especially since the description you gave: "Not awful", "not something I particularly enjoyed at the time", doesn't exactly sell the thing,.

(Unless you're, like, that couple who built their outfits out of duck tape. If you do something like that it's probably worth it. :V )

It's kind of one of those 'life events' sort of things that you'd probably regret for the rest of your life if you missed.
it's a large milestone in life. *shrug*
I guess this seems to be the main argument for going bar any other explicit reason (if you have a date you're really into that's really into prom, obviously you wouldn't want to skip it), and to be honest I have no idea what those statements actually mean. So if you're not the kind of person who thinks of your life in terms of culturally determined "milestones" and "events", there's not a whole lot inherent value to the idea.

I'd strongly advise renting a dress over buying one, because 95% of dresses girls get for proms are terrible so never wear them again.
On the other hand, buying a really nice used dress can often be cheaper than renting! And really, it's just gotta be better than the prom average, how hard can that be?

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2014, 07:48:02 am »

Well, since a ton of glitter seems to be a requirement for a prom dress, pretty damn hard to buy one that can be reused. Though I suppose it could be resold next year.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 07:50:18 am by DJ »

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2014, 12:18:43 pm »

Oh, really? Where I am, the girls almost universally wear satin (sort of like this), which is good for a lot of stuff.

I'm not one to talk though--I've been using the exact same graduation dress since middle school.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2014, 02:17:01 pm »

Oh, that looks nice enough. Here almost all the girls look like freaking disco balls.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 06:25:09 pm »

This thread reminds me of how I went to my junior prom in a homemade Jedi costume (in semi-protest, since the theme that year was originally going to be Star Wars, I think by popular vote, but then some lame people complained or whatever and it was changed to "A Night in Paris"). So I was able to really impress people without spending lots of money.

And my school might have just been weird, but I didn't have a date that year, or any year, and neither did many of my friends who went. What may be normal for other people in a certain time and place may not be true for where you are now, so check your local norms before ordering.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2014, 04:37:56 am »

Not only did I not go to prom, I didn't even realize what day it was until after it was over. And don't give a damn now. And that was with a girlfriend. We were probably like, I dunno, sitting at home watching some dumb movie without having any idea what was going on, and that was/is fine by me.  Dances are generally horrible.

If you gave me $500 to entertain myself with back then, I probably would have spent it on, like, lumber and dremel accessories and lasers.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 04:42:05 am by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2014, 07:36:08 am »

Well, to wrap this thread up, I've decided to take a rain check on prom. I really don't WANT to go, so I won't. Ill just draw some pictures, or write some music that night!

Anyways, thanks for all the advice guys!

ill be locking this.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 [2]