Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [alpha] Untitled 1v1 turn-based tactical webgame.  (Read 1155 times)

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[alpha] Untitled 1v1 turn-based tactical webgame.
« on: February 07, 2015, 11:26:11 am »

Hello B12!

Here was an alpha release of a simple multiplayer 1v1 turn-based tactical webgame I've made.

But now it's gone due to inactivity.
See you at my next game! :-)

Description:
Each player starts with a Soulman unit on a grid map. The goal is to defeat the opponent's Soulman.
The map consists of walls and open tiles as well as special soul tiles. Soul can be captured by your Soulman. Each soul maps to a specific type of unit which the Soulman can spawn. Units can be broadly categorized as supportive, defensive and offensive. In the current version there are 11 units, each has its own one-time use perk you may utilize to defeat your opponent!
Beware that you can heal opponent's units or even damage your own! This is because I want to allow for advanced unit interactions (which will come in future versions).

Notes:
  • Play the game in its own browser window or make sure the tab is always focused. Browsers forcefully pause unfocused tabs which can make the game behave weirdly!
  • If you want to fiddle with the game on your own, simply open the game in two browser windows and you will most likely play against yourself.

Development:
The core functionality is getting done at a medium pace. But before I go any further with this game I'd like to show it to people to see whether anyone would be interested in playing it.

Here is some of the major stuff I have planned for later releases:
  • a name!
  • new & better graphics
  • larger map support
  • three races & themed maps
  • more units
  • custom user maps
  • map editor
  • new game modes
  • game accessibility
  • game lobby
  • customizable matches
  • fog of war option
  • sound effects & music
  • multi-language support

Post here if you'd like me to (dis)continue developing this game! Give me your feedback!

In the meantime, I will start developing one of the following game ideas, but not sure which yet.
  • Singleplayer, realtime, dwarven tower-defense game with RTS elements, where you assume the command of a mountain filled with mining tunnels. The problem is that critters are ascending from hell and you must send your units down the tunnels to defeat them! You can make armor and weapons which you can give to your units. The twist is that critters can use items from your fallen units against you!
  • Multiplayer, top-down, RTS/RTT arcade version of team-based online shooter games. The player takes over the control of 12 units (analogous to human players in games like King Arthur's Gold and Counter-Strike) which s/he pits against the opponent's units.
  • Or whichever game idea pops up!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 11:07:55 am by dorf »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: [alpha] Untitled 1v1 turn-based tactical webgame.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 11:41:40 am »

Interesting.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 08:09:51 am »

Ha! I've just played my first match of my first game against a B12-er who's never played my game before... and I almost lost!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 08:19:32 am »

I managed to win a match despite having no clue what I was doing. Can you set it so that there's more indication of which player you are at the start? I thought I was the left player at first since there's no indication.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 03:11:56 am »

This looks really cool. It's too bad I missed it when it was going. Do you have any screenshots?

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 05:24:41 am »

I've updated the OP (since you wouldn't let this thread die :P) with the screenshot and links to the game and help page.
I'll leave the server up for a while.

Since you probably won't get any opponents to join the game, I recommend opening the game in two separate browser windows to toy around. I'm usually active between 4 PM and 9 PM (UTC/GMT) during the week.

It's not much to look at and the gameplay is quite basic. But I'm satisfied with the fact that I've published my first functional game. Furthermore, I will most definitely make more games and publish them here.
All in all, it was a very positive experience for me! :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 05:42:09 am by dorf »

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 05:04:17 pm »

Hmm. That's an interesting game you've got there. Feels a lot like chess. The turns are awfully short, though. And there's a small bug where it doesn't always update the screen properly when your opponent takes an action.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler