Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: POPULATION_NUMBER values  (Read 745 times)

Lumify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
POPULATION_NUMBER values
« on: May 11, 2014, 04:33:15 pm »

In the CREATURE_ files, some of the population lines look like this:

[POPULATION_NUMBER:3000:3000]30000:30000]-UBIQUITOUS-250:500]

What do the numbers after the first end bracket (]) mean? And the ones after the second? All I could find on the subject is that the POPULATION_NUMBER is the number of creatures you have to kill before the species is extinct, but I can't tell which number that is. I assume that's the first range; while the second and third ranges are something else. Could someone enlighten me?
I use Masterwork. I might not know if a feature is mod specific because I'm a noob.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: POPULATION_NUMBER values
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 04:36:09 pm »

That's how Masterwork handles the different options. They're all there in the file at once, but the brackets and such are kludged around in such a way that only the wanted numbers and tags are picked up by the parser at any given time.

Normal raws wouldn't look anything like this.

Lumify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 08:01:25 pm »

Ah ok I should have mentioned I was using Masterwork. I'm not oldschool enough to appreciate the ASCII art :P

So what does each number mean then? I'm trying to make it so creatures don't go extinct after over-hunting; which numbers should I raise to do this?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 08:12:26 pm by Lumify »
I use Masterwork. I might not know if a feature is mod specific because I'm a noob.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 08:44:11 am »

Its when I did mass replacements.. for example [FREQUENCY:100]25] is something you see often. in that case I raised everything to 100, the game ignores the 25] and I can easily look up the original value.

The high pop numbers are just to keep the animals from dying out.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Lumify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 12:51:19 pm »

Ah ok, that's useful to know the original values, especially for mass replacing myself. What does it mean when there are three ranges, like the [POPULATION_NUMBER:3000:3000]30000:30000]-UBIQUITOUS-250:500] example? Was that just changed twice, with the third value being the original value, and the second being your first change?