Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do the new features affect fortress mode?  (Read 4042 times)

superbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do the new features affect fortress mode?
« on: July 13, 2014, 05:28:39 pm »

I'm still having a blast playing adventure mode, those who had the time and patience to start a fort and do some !!SCIENCE!!, how have the new features affected you so far? I understand climbing helps and the new thoughts/personality system makes things a little more interesting, what about the living world, retiring fortresses, new forts interacting with retired forts? Has anyone tested receiving a godlike adventurer as a migrant yet? Does pulping the undead offset how OP they are in this release?

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do the new features affect fortress mode?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 05:35:28 pm »

You get a crap tonne of logs from each tree now but the new thought system seems to (in my experience) make tantrum spirals both easier to trigger and more vicious so it has its ups and downs.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 05:49:10 pm »

Also it seems to be a thing that if you try recover a "ruin", it has hundreds of forges. Not a damn clue why.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 05:52:54 pm »

Also it seems to be a thing that if you try recover a "ruin", it has hundreds of forges. Not a damn clue why.

They NEED that many forges. I mean, where else would they get the anvils for all those forges?
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 05:56:02 pm »

Also for some reason I found a hostile "baron consort" at the bottom of a very extensive fortress ruin. Not sure what the deal was with that but they weren't in my civ's list (which coincidentially had a LOT of goblin royalty).

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 06:05:49 pm »

They NEED that many forges. I mean, where else would they get the anvils for all those forges?

... Mmmh, from their steel thrones, maybe?
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 09:40:58 pm »

Yes, TONS OF WOOD. A big bonus for your coal industry and may make elves happier since you would have to cut less trees.

With combat being changed a bit, you'll see things being smashed into gore more often. This should make those 15 z-level death pits actually lethal now.

Your dwarves and other creatures can climb. So I think one z level walls won't be useful anymore. This also helps save dwarves from drowning and whatever else while mining if they're lucky. Some people have found their dwarves hurting themselves from climbing trees though. They would fall 5 feet and their foot will explode into gore. Hasn't happened to me yet.

As for the thought system, I think Toady said it is half-finished so we're stuck with old thoughts for now mixed with new.

Your dwarves are also big babies now when it comes to death and corpses laying about. They can run away in terror if they're not trained in Discipline. So desensitize them with public executions of criminals and invaders. Beware too many bad thoughts though, make sure your execution chamber is lovely when your dwarves come to watch. Ex: "Death... the horror... Oh that's a lovely statue! Look at that engraving! What a nice spear trap."
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 10:24:23 pm by Codyo »

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 10:17:36 pm »

With combat being changed a bit, you'll see things being smashed into gore more often. This should make those 15 z-level death pits actually lethal now.

They were already deadly. I usually saw goblins dropped into those things explode into their component limbs. Although eventually the corpses of the previous goblins ended up providing a gruesome but comfy pillow for the new arrivals and I had to institute a cleaning mechanism to get them out. Still, dropping things down deep pits is going to be more fun then ever.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

boddha

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 01:22:31 am »

I can confirm the first year siege. Makes things much more FUN.
One thing that's interesting is instead of digging out your own fort from scratch is that you can reclaim a fort that was abandoned during worldgen on embark. I tried that and it's pretty cool, but you lose out on the good fun of starting out from scratch.

Also in autumn, multi-tile trees drop their foliage/fruit on the ground, which is pretty. I haven't seen it affect my game yet though.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 01:30:59 am »

Gay dwarves gay dwarves gay dwarves

... Ahem. Yes. The new ORIENTATION tag (don't look for it in creature_standard, the default is currently hardcoded, though you can change the numbers by adding it to the raws) means that lovers and marriages are not restricted to Mr. and Mrs. Urist.

As far as anyone knows different-gender pairings are still the only ones that pop out babies, which could be good or bad depending on whether you care about how many fertile couples you have in your fortress, but I for one welcome our new gay overlords.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Gukag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 04:14:01 am »

There's a lot of people talking about climbing and the ridiculous situations dwarves get themselves in. They particularly like to climb around the edges of volcanoes or plummet to their deaths from trees. Having a meeting area seems to take care of their climbing urges, only idle dwarves with no room or meeting area to go to will be subject to it. At least I haven't run into it in the forts I've run but i've always been careful of meeting areas, burrows, F(orbid) restrictions and other ways to keep sock chasers from killing themselves stupidly.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 04:18:59 am by Gukag »

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 04:52:20 am »

They seem to frequently go up and down trees on their daily routines, which seems to sometimes cause accidents due to some weird reason. Maybe leaf blocks vanishing or something from under them?

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 01:52:05 pm »

They seem to frequently go up and down trees on their daily routines, which seems to sometimes cause accidents due to some weird reason. Maybe leaf blocks vanishing or something from under them?

Sometimes wild beasts and animal men will also do this, lending to huge amounts of fun when trying to get them down via woodcutter.

Gotta say, meetings are now super quick and traders leave whatever they're doing to attend their depot, which is sweet. Does this [ORIENTATION] tag affect dwarves only? Last time I had a fort in which my three female dogs weren't breeding with the sole male dog I brought with me. Maybe he wasn't that interested, or just a somewhat harmless bug.

There's no need of +1 z walls, actually, because of automatic fails while climbing smooth, block walls. Going further, I'm using freshly cut logs to make my walls (because why not) and not even my own dwarves can climb them. Then again, they're all inexperienced and I don't think goblins train that skill in their spare time. Take extra precautions if you're expecting titans, though.

Also, embarking on sparse wood deserts has never been so easy.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?