Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is DF is a x32 process? Can I up the RAM usage? [FIXED: Silk Explosion]  (Read 1035 times)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile

I believe that DF is a 32 bit process, which means that it is limited to only 2 GB of RAM. My computer has a total of 24 gbs of RAM on a trichannel motherboard. I was curious as to if somehow upping the limit of the RAM would help the system handle DF better. Is there a way to do this? Would this even help?

Spoiler: FIXED (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 05:00:38 pm by They Got Leader »
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modded Reaction, Silk Explosion
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 04:27:28 pm »

consider turning on temp, obsidianwalling the workshop and dumping magma in it

all available from the liquids tool yo

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 04:29:14 pm »

consider turning on temp, obsidianwalling the workshop and dumping magma in it

all available from the liquids tool yo

Can I then remove the liquid?
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 04:30:49 pm »

you just have to set the amount to zero, although it might be a bit wonky so after you're done removing it rinse the area with level 1 water and hope for the best

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 04:32:47 pm »

you just have to set the amount to zero, although it might be a bit wonky so after you're done removing it rinse the area with level 1 water and hope for the best

Well...

The game is churning. My computer is definitely running a lot of temperature reactions right now. Wish me luck.

EDIT: I left the game running with magma burning through the silk stack and it cleaned everything up. I washed the room with water and opened the room back up. Thank you for the help, as the FPS death is gone!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 04:57:05 pm by They Got Leader »

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile

Shiet, it would hurt me to get rid of all of that silk. My dwarven greed. All those socks.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

RAM is mostly needed for worldgen, and you can use the laa, the large adress aware patcher included in MasterworkDf or the Lnp to make it use more RAM.

It wont make the game faster though, you need a better Cpu for that.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There was a thread somewhere where they determined that the best FPS after destroying things resulted from, in order of goodness, starting with the best:

1) Manual dump and atomsmash
2) dfhack dump to a location under a bridge then atomsmash
3) dfhack autodump destroy
4) In a distant last place, burning / melting stuff with magma.  Burning is probably more effective than melting, though.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Or you look at my signature and use accelerated df. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::