Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Submarine idea? Artifact cages  (Read 686 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Submarine idea? Artifact cages
« on: April 23, 2014, 02:31:41 pm »

1) Get an artifact cage (I don't know how to mod this in in order to test)
2) Link it to a lever.
3) Trap a dwarf miner in it by making him unconscious and on top of it.
4) cast a bunch of obsidian all around it.
5) Remove support and let it fall into the ocean or magma sea. (on top of a non SMR magma ocean floor if using the magma sea)

The artifact furniture should survive cave-in and hold up the ceiling above them, I think? Then maybe? the lever will still work to release the dwarf.
Supplies could be similarly sent by placing them in artifact bins/barrels next to the cage to give him a pick to use and some seeds.

If the lever doesn't still work, then alternatively you could minimally modify dwarves to have the [GNAWER] tag, which will let them escape from cages on their own. Conveniently, it is bugged to only work on artifact cages! So it won't influence any other gameplay except this. I think this is reasonable, as from a roleplay perspective, the cage is supposed to be a protection not a prison.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Submarine idea? Artifact cages
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 03:10:56 pm »

Unfortunately, the cage would deconstruct on cave-in and most likely end up crushed or thrown outside the obsidian altogether. Believe it or not, I've tried something like this before.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Submarine idea? Artifact cages
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 03:20:53 pm »

The wiki claims that artifact furniture survives cave-ins?

Does it only mean that it survives falling on its own, and that anything on top of it will still destroy it? (like a dwarf)
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.