Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kobold problems  (Read 1129 times)

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Kobold problems
« on: May 02, 2014, 10:50:41 pm »

I recently decided to try my hand at modding, so for my first project I decided to try and make kobolds a playable race, and interact with other civs in ways other than stealing. At first it seemed to be working. Kobolds have started building towns, and worshipping deities. I soon encountered some problems however:

1. Kobolds still do nothing but steal crap in world gen. I still want them to steal stuff, but also get into wars and such. Do I have to stop them from stealing stuff altogether for them to get diplomatically involved?

2. Kobold adventurers can talk to all races just fine, except other kobolds. In one town, they did nothing but in the next town over I got attacked for no apparent reason. What might be causing this?

3. Kobolds can't become necromancers. Several of them became concerned with their mortality according to legends mode, and some even moved into towers. They got apprenticed to the humans and dwarves there, but never seemed to learn the secrets of life and death, instead writing books about kobolds until the end of their days. (There was also one necromancer wannabe that somehow got apprenticed to himself, but that's probably another problem entirely.)

I'm pretty sure I know what is causing the first problem, but the rest I'm pretty clueless on. Does anyone know what may be causing the problems and how to fix them?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold problems
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 11:00:59 pm »

Did you try removing [UTTERANCES] and give them [CAN_SPEAK]?

I don't know if that will help the first problem, but it will likely help with the other two.

You may also want to remove [LOCAL_BANDITRY] from the kobold's entity, as that may make civilians hostile to adventurers.

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 10:09:33 am »

Ah, I assumed that it was okay to leave utterances in, as adventurers could still communicate. Actually, that might fix all three of the problems. However, I don't know where the creature entry for any of the sentient races is located. I guess I'll just have to check them all. Thanks for the help!

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 02:57:33 pm »

Ah, I assumed that it was okay to leave utterances in, as adventurers could still communicate. Actually, that might fix all three of the problems. However, I don't know where the creature entry for any of the sentient races is located. I guess I'll just have to check them all. Thanks for the help!

Kobolds and the other sentients are located in Creature_Standard.

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 05:57:41 pm »

I finally managed to embark as the kobolds, but I've run into a problem. The miners refuse to dig. I made sure to give them the [DIGGER:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK] in their entity file.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 06:03:28 pm »

Either make the pick's minimum required size smaller or make a custom pick for kobolds.

As it is, kobolds aren't even half the required size to wield a pick, so mining 'bolds will refuse to carry a pick.

If you make a custom pick, make sure that the pick's weapon skill is mining, otherwise it can't be used to mine.

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 04:22:15 am »

I don't know about you but this talk of kobolds merrily writing books about kobolds and becoming apprentices to themselves is probably the cutest thing ever, not what you wanted maybe but still
Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 04:57:35 am »

If you want to play kobolds in fortress mode, you can try the kobolds in Masterwork Df. Maybe you like some of the idea, they are fully playable.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 08:32:08 pm »

Well, kobolds can dig now, and nothing has exploded, frozen or suffocated since embark. Success! Unfortunately, everyone is throwing tantrums due to a lack of shoes, despite the fact kobolds don't know how to make shoes and lived perfectly fine without them up until now.

If you want to play kobolds in fortress mode, you can try the kobolds in Masterwork Df. Maybe you like some of the idea, they are fully playable.

I've been doing this to get better at modding, which is why I didn't download a mod in the first place. I have been wanting to try Masterwork for a while though...

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 08:45:10 pm »

Well, kobolds can dig now, and nothing has exploded, frozen or suffocated since embark. Success! Unfortunately, everyone is throwing tantrums due to a lack of shoes, despite the fact kobolds don't know how to make shoes and lived perfectly fine without them up until now.

That's a hardcoded thing, unfortunately.

All fort citizens will want to wear something over their upper body, lower body, and feet, and will get annoyed if they cannot find something to wear.

Gloves and hats aren't necessary, at least.