Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Deepworld (Now Available For Windows!)  (Read 2405 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Deepworld (Now Available For Windows!)
« on: December 31, 2012, 04:49:35 am »

I've just discovered this and am surprised to not find a topic for it already.

http://deepworldgame.com/

The problem is, it's Mac-only. It looks like the perfect game for me and my mom to play together, but we both run Windows. Has anyone played this game? Do you think we could get it to run on a Mac emulator? They say they're working on a Windows version, but not until after they release the iPhone version, and they said even after that it will be a few months before it's ready because they have to port all the code to the new OS.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 04:49:57 am by Sappho »

bQt31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deepworld
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 04:59:26 am »

not sure about mac emulators, but I'm sure there are plenty of games you can play with your mom
edit:damn this game looks very nice tbh
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 05:06:20 am by bQt31 »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 06:10:46 am »

I already had a thread a while back trying to find a game for me and my mom to play. The problem is, she likes platforming but not fighting, and she likes building and creating things but she doesn't like slow-paced or complicated or 3d games. We're 6 time zones apart so we need a persistent MMO and she wants one where she can have her own house and leave little gifts around and stuff like that. We were playing Glitch which was PERFECT until they shut it down and for the past month we've been looking for a replacement but she doesn't like anything. Wurm is too slow and complicated, Graal and MapleStory have too much fighting, Minecraft is too complicated and she doesn't like 3d...

Deepworld will be on Windows eventually, but if it would work on a Mac emulator I think it'd be worth doing. If no one else has tried it maybe I'll just give it a shot myself and see if I can get it to run.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 11:18:06 am »

This looks pretty neat and, yeah from what I remember of that thread it sounds great for you guys. It reminds me a lot of A Valley Without Wind, actually, but with significantly more Terraria. Nice find.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 04:46:42 pm »

Holy shit. Another Craftlike, but this time a MMO? Interesting!
I dont like how everyone has jetpacks.. though.

I think your mom wouldnt like this, looks like theres a hella lotta fighting in it.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 04:55:45 pm »

it looks good. A LOT like Terraria, but there's always room for more and perhaps I am wrong and it's very different. Only time will tell as I refuse to game on a Mac.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 04:12:44 am »

Arise from the dead, old thread, so I can announce that Deepworld is now available for Windows!

I've been playing with it for a few minutes. The controls are fairly clumsy (as is to be expected from a game designed for the ipad). However, I figure I'll get used to them, and it seems to be a pretty fun game. I particularly like how you can claim your own world and purify it from poisons and monsters. I'm in as Airavj if anyone wants to join me.

Edit: Hm... After a few more minutes of playing around, it appears that all of the good things in this game are locked behind microtransactions. You have to pay to get your own world, and you have to pay for items that will protect your constructions from being destroyed by other players. I'm suddenly a great deal less enthusiastic than I was.

I suppose if it turns out to be worthwhile, we might band together and buy a B12 world. But I don't want to invest in something I'm not sure about. Especially since they make such a big advertisement about how the game is 100% FREE TO PLAY on their main page. Smells a little scammy.

Damn it, why can't a game ever turn out to be as amazing as advertised?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 05:08:34 am by Sappho »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deepworld (Now Available For Windows!)
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 10:57:07 am »

Cause that would just be too good...we can't have nice things like that because money makes the world go round!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 11:03:51 am »

The thing is, I'd be willing to pay for a really good game. I just hate it when a game claims to be "free" then starts asking for money when you want things to actually *work*.

Has anyone else tried this out? I can't decide if I want to invest time it in or just wait until Starbound gets more developed.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 11:32:50 am »

I would honestly wait for starbound...that being said no I have not tried it but as of right now it looks like it will be a lot cheaper and less frustrating to play a game that works without buying bits of it.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 11:48:25 am »

That is a fair point. Also, I've already paid for Starbound. And I won't have to pay for it again, which is encouraging.