Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: are lords of magic/realms worth getting?  (Read 815 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
are lords of magic/realms worth getting?
« on: April 15, 2014, 08:34:36 pm »

I can buy one game (so I would have to choose) on gog.

Both lords of the realm 1 or 2 look great. But seems I have total war mods for that. But lords of magic 1 or 2 look great and very few magic strategy games.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: are lords of magic/realms worth getting?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 08:46:21 pm »

I'm not sure if I'm talking about the same game, but I prefer Lords of the Realm 1 to part 2. It's simpler, more micro-managey and isn't in general "as good". But it runs on my phone in Dosbox as a simple little time-waster and wasn't as fiddley as part 2.

I wouldn't pay money for it these days though (I didn't mind 15-20 years ago).

Go for Lords of Magic. Either of them.
It's a game. Have fun.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 08:51:24 pm »

lords of magic 2? I thought there was only Lords of Magic: Special Edition.
It all depends if you want to have a fantasy setting or a medieval setting. Lords of the realm has more management of the territories, lords of magic has more of a focus on hero units and a grand campaign scale.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 08:56:19 pm »

I'm only really familiar with Lords of the Realm II, but I tend to find it one of those games that you sort of run out of things to do with relatively quickly. Lords of Magic is a much longer runner, and fairly unique besides.

And yes, I believe Special Edition just includes the expansion. I'm actually not entirely sure what that adds, actually; the only thing it implies are the alternate campaign maps.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 08:58:39 pm »

Lords of the Realm 1 is also VERY simple to win, with a few semi-random events assuring victory (mercs and merchant timings). Castles are pretty much irrelevant. LotR 2 was harder to micro-manage, but a bit broader in strategies and appeal (real castle seiges and not as many "I win" events). I still liked part 1 better, but I'd only pay a couple of dollars at most for it (it's still a good little time-waster on an Android phone. But so are many games).
It's a game. Have fun.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 09:12:22 pm »

lords of the realm

lords of magic

Of the two, Lords of the Realm and Lords of Magic, I enjoyed Lords of the Realm more. It's a bit formulaic, and once you learn how to win, it's trivial to always win. But it's a good enough game to last you a couple weekends. Lords of Magic is pretty and has the appearance of interesting lore, but gameplay itself fails in too many ways to be fun for very long.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 09:19:25 pm »

Also, if you do go for LotR 1, I think there was an enhanced edition with Germanic maps or something. I don't know if there were any other additions to the game, but a different map is at least a reason to play through twice. I'd almost recommend doing an abandonware search for it, because it was rare as hell and not supported by the publishers AFAIK. It may have been an unsupported but sold mod or something.

Then buy one of the others.

edit: Nevermind. Just checked out GOG's page for it. You do get the germanic map for lotr 1. Probably not bad getting 1+2 and expansions for $6. You can still use hamachi if you want a multi-player game of 1 (I think totalbiscuit had a vid doing something like that). Hmmmm. I wonder if I can *really* mess around with AnDosbox and win3.11 to get that going? Probably not.......
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 09:32:11 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 12:36:48 pm »

Lords of the Realm 2 is far better than Lords of the Realm 1.  The interface is much more intuitive and helpful.   

While Lords of Magic was fun, it suffered from poor unit balance and bad pacing.  LotR2 was more fun.

For both of those games, I'd recommend pulling out an old license for windows 2000, XP, or 9X and run it under some sort of virtual machine like Oracle's VirtualBox. 
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.