Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Taming/claiming war animals?  (Read 1171 times)

Manikinator

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Urist McManiki
    • View Profile
Taming/claiming war animals?
« on: April 04, 2014, 04:09:00 pm »

So, I had a goblin invasion, and out of the 22 goblins alive, i got 20 on cage traps.

2 goblins were in mounts, so I assume the animals are tame (at least for the goblins).

Can I train/claim these war beasts so they defend my fortress?

One is a lion, the other is a jabberer, idk what that is.

THNX
The Manikinator

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taming/claiming war animals?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 04:49:32 pm »

So, I had a goblin invasion, and out of the 22 goblins alive, i got 20 on cage traps.

2 goblins were in mounts, so I assume the animals are tame (at least for the goblins).

THNX

Nope, as the wiki says, you can tame hostile creatures, but they stay hostile to your dwarves. You can tame their offspring as part of your fort, though, which could happen if either of them is female and a male happens to wander onto the map.

The jabberer is an excellent creature as a war animal, but you may have trouble getting it to reproduce in your fort, though. Supposedly hostile egg layers refuse to use your filthy dwarven nest boxes, although I haven't had the opportunity to test that myself.

Manikinator

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Urist McManiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 04:52:50 pm »

Thanks 4 the info Maolagin.
The Manikinator

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 05:28:31 pm »

THNX

Nope, as the wiki says, you can tame hostile creatures, but they stay hostile to your dwarves. You can tame their offspring as part of your fort, though, which could happen if either of them is female and a male happens to wander onto the map.

The jabberer is an excellent creature as a war animal, but you may have trouble getting it to reproduce in your fort, though. Supposedly hostile egg layers refuse to use your filthy dwarven nest boxes, although I haven't had the opportunity to test that myself.

On the other hand, if the jabberer is male the hostility isn't a problem, just keep it caged/chained somewhere until you can catch a female one, preferably from the caverns than from the gobbos.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 06:22:20 pm »

If you tame them they'll hostile to your dwarves, but will they be hostile to future sieges?
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 08:05:16 am »

If the creatures are egg layers, you can seperate the parents from the eggs before they hatch. The young will be tamed/tameable, but their parents will be hostile to them. So if you catch goblin jabberers, keep them around and try to get your own population, don't just kill them.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 03:46:57 pm »

Actually, if you remove bird before eggs hatch they simply won't hatch.
There's not much problem with chained hostiles, they won't attack anyone.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 06:30:27 pm »

There's not much problem with chained hostiles, they won't attack anyone.

Which is why I've started a room with roped goblins. There are gem windows so the dwarves can look in. After my next goblin murdering spree I will engrave the floor, so the goblins will be surrounded by engraving of their friends/relatives being killed.
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 07:37:36 am »

Be careful not to let diplomats or traders in that room, they seem to lack understanding of restraint concept.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 04:35:58 pm »

Yeah, I'll keep my nobles out of it. Is there a way to remove an area from a burrow? I know how to add, but haven't seen how to take away from one.
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 06:06:16 pm »

Yeah, I'll keep my nobles out of it. Is there a way to remove an area from a burrow? I know how to add, but haven't seen how to take away from one.

You go to the burrow tool, select the burrow you want to edit, then the 'r' key toggles between "currently painting" and "currently erasing".

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 10:28:34 pm »

THANK YOU! I've tried to figure that out for the last year...