Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question I can't find an answer for.  (Read 1709 times)

xana55

• Bay Watcher
  • Booze Detected: Initiating Drinking Protocal
    • View Profile
Question I can't find an answer for.
« on: April 02, 2014, 05:02:41 pm »

What would happen if every dwarf in the fortress was a werebeast? Would your fortress fall as soon as the full moon came or would the game continue as normal until they turned back? If any scientist has experimented with this complication I would appreciate your notes :D If nobody has this might make for great fun!
Urist The Foolish: Beheaded by a swarm of cats 379 BC.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question I can't find an answer for.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 05:18:16 pm »

This was just answered in another thread, the wiki says your fort would be fine. For a quite DF-definition of "fine". I doubt anyone has any evidence more compelling than "the wiki says" unless they've got a save uoloaded with everyone infected that would either end in a "your fortress has fallen" screen the moment the next full moon rolls around, or just continues on normally.

xana55

• Bay Watcher
  • Booze Detected: Initiating Drinking Protocal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 05:31:44 pm »

Ok, much appreciated. This would make a great experiment though, shame I can't figure out a way to control infection.
Urist The Foolish: Beheaded by a swarm of cats 379 BC.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 06:59:29 pm »

This was just answered in another thread, the wiki says your fort would be fine. For a quite DF-definition of "fine". I doubt anyone has any evidence more compelling than "the wiki says" unless they've got a save uoloaded with everyone infected that would either end in a "your fortress has fallen" screen the moment the next full moon rolls around, or just continues on normally.
I believe I read a semi-recent post somewhere saying that Toady said he had programmed it not to ruin the fort. Don't have time to search for either post at the moment, unfortunately.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 05:19:37 pm »

Can infected dwarves have children or do they just murder their babies?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 09:33:03 am »

I can confirm that you can survive with a purely werebeast population as it happened to one of the first fortresses I had. Unfortunately, there's no real way to put this to use as once a month your dwarves drop everything once a month and go on a rampage, crippling your military (all armor dropped) and essentially ruining production efforts. Not to mention werebeasts are building destroyers and so tend to smash everything in the fortress. The fact that dwarves only manage to remain transformed for a single day makes weaponizing this exceptionally difficult. If I can add one more thing; typically any useful werebeast will kill more dwarves than it manages to convert.

Despite the fact that there's no good reason to attempt werebeast science, I have been tempted to try to make a werebeast fort after my incident, but I haven't stumbled across a useful beast like the elephants again. At least those proved competent in a melee.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 02:11:59 am »

Are fort-loyal (for some definition of loyal) werebeasts trap immune? If not, what happens if cages are brought into the picture?
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 08:02:08 am »

Are fort-loyal (for some definition of loyal) werebeasts trap immune? If not, what happens if cages are brought into the picture?

That I don't know for certain. I know you can catch a werebeast while it's in its untransformed mode (so beasts marked 'friendly' can still be caught) but I think that your dwarves keep the [TRAP_IMMUNE] tag (or whatever it is) in their transformed state.
If you have the skills and resources you could try webbing your traps to catch fort-member werebeasts (note: they're still effectively hostile in that they kill anything that moves) or finding some means of knocking them unconscious. I find that if you lock them in an area paved with cage traps (they don't respect burrows in their transformed state) they'll eventually fall asleep on a trap and get caged.