Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sea Tile  (Read 1403 times)

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
Sea Tile
« on: April 03, 2014, 05:10:27 pm »

I have heard that it was impossible, but has anyone here ever successfully drained an entire sea tile?

I imagine that it would work by building a long tunnel that would go directly to the circus so that the bottomless pits could be tested.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Jack Smythe

• Bay Watcher
  • What would Urist do?
    • View Profile
Re: Sea Tile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 08:37:59 pm »

I've never done it, but there fairly confirmed reports of others doing it. Lignite bins, walling off the ocean and draining it into the aquifer, just google or search it. Its bloody well CPU intensive, and risks a lot of Fun, but, if you feel up to it, why not try?

Here's one thread I found that may help:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=41204.0
Many say that humanity is a naturally good and benevolent race. Obviously, they have yet to meet us.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 09:00:40 pm »

Thanks for that, I'll be sure to drain all of the world's oceans as a mega project.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 09:05:07 pm »

Question: if you manage to drain all the ocean tiles in your embark, will it drain the rest of the ocean, or atleast create a vortex of some kind?

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 09:09:28 pm »

From what I've read, the side tiles at the edge of the map will constantly try to recreate new water tiles to fill up the void in the ocean. If a group of dwarves were to go to the deepest part of the ocean and create a pathway for the water to fall down into the circus, the bottomless pits could drain all the water from the entire ocean. But that won't happen in the current version as the rest of the world is non moving while you play.

GENERATION 29:

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 09:10:14 pm »

Tiles not on the map do not change, or much exist.  When tge world ages with the fort, perhaps.

^^above
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

catpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 12:41:45 am »

Thats why the whole concept of world wide caverns bothers me a bit. A single connection anywhere between ocean and cavern ought make the second soon to be non-existent.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 05:26:54 am »

Thats why the whole concept of world wide caverns bothers me a bit. A single connection anywhere between ocean and cavern ought make the second soon to be non-existent.

No, the first would (mostly) disappear and the second would fill with water. Assuming the total volume of caverns is greater than total volume of the ocean, which is a highly suspect assumption. "Mostly" because oceans are not bowls, they have multiple "lowest points" separated by ridges, so even if you make drain in the bottom of one basin you'd end up with some small seas left in the other basins, even if there isn't a true world ocean anymore.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 07:23:30 am »

"Mostly" because oceans are not bowls, they have multiple "lowest points" separated by ridges, so even if you make drain in the bottom of one basin you'd end up with some small seas left in the other basins, even if there isn't a true world ocean anymore.
For reference.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 08:34:04 am »

"Mostly" because oceans are not bowls, they have multiple "lowest points" separated by ridges, so even if you make drain in the bottom of one basin you'd end up with some small seas left in the other basins, even if there isn't a true world ocean anymore.
For reference.

Yea, probably what I was thinking of, even though I didn't remember where I'd read it... most recently, that is; you can see said fact about multiple basins on any world map with ocean depth, and I've taken a couple of University courses on oceanography.

Jack Smythe

• Bay Watcher
  • What would Urist do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 10:56:09 am »

From what I've read, the side tiles at the edge of the map will constantly try to recreate new water tiles to fill up the void in the ocean. If a group of dwarves were to go to the deepest part of the ocean and create a pathway for the water to fall down into the circus, the bottomless pits could drain all the water from the entire ocean. But that won't happen in the current version as the rest of the world is non moving while you play.

If you obsidianize the edges, you can keep the water from regening, at least in small, fortress areas. But, yeah, it won't affect the world. Otherwise Boatmurdered's FTW PDD or any other magma cannon would annihilate the world, given enough time.
Many say that humanity is a naturally good and benevolent race. Obviously, they have yet to meet us.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 03:22:10 pm »

Tiles not on the map do not change, or much exist.  When tge world ages with the fort, perhaps.

^^above

But see, I think that is only for histories and stuff, not physical stuff like that. Did anyone try embarking right next to, or adventuring to, boatmurdered to find out?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 07:25:16 pm »

But see, I think that is only for histories and stuff, not physical stuff like that. Did anyone try embarking right next to, or adventuring to, boatmurdered to find out?

I believe one guy did and got killed by trolls inside the fort proper after he got lost.